Sebae Anenome?

urville

We did a ton of research and we still werent totally prepared upon seeing the selection as we assumed... well it was surprising.

No one knew anything though, well they seemed to not know, had to ask someone else, someone else had to call etc. But it's the only store and i really was apprehensive on buying an anenome online as they are so delicate. So i bought this guy pictured below, labeled as a sebae. This was yesterday in the afternoon. Came home, hour and a half acclimation by drip while floating.

he hasnt stuck anywhere, nor moved, he is up from the sand on a rock. i put a pellet on him, and he seemed to want to eat it but had trouble getting it in, that or he hated it and was getting it off him, lol.

anyway heres the pic. Any advice? Some say these ones dont live more than 6 months period, some say this represents the juvinile versus the adult when its more tan, another said that it's simply bleached and may or may not live. oh, and some said this isnt even a sebae

anen.jpg

Will be blunt, I don't expect yours to make it more then a month.

It is very bleached, and its tentacles are very short -- which is a sign of it starving and slowly eating itself for energy.

If you find a healthy one, sebaes aren't all that hard to keep --- assuming that you have the right tank conditions for them.

Simple thing to remember when being any anemone ( hosting ones ) white = unhealthy.

well crap.... no hooray moments there...

well... i hope they take it back, and for cash refund too

Last edited:
Sorry about that, but would rather give you the facts, then sugarcoat it.

Anemones can bring brought back from being bleached -- I've done it before -- but yours looks like it is in pretty bad shape.

Well what are my options? I dont want a long tentacle cause they, according to everything I saw, often wander around the tank alot. I read ritteri's move around and sting basically highly aggressive. I read BTA and clownfish and other anenome hosting animals are hit and miss.

I got him to eat mysis shrimp. so at least he wont go back hungry.

LTAs, don't move if given the right conditions -- they really like deeper sandbeds. If you don't want to do that, can use a wide piece of PVC, cut to about 4-6" long, fill with sand. If your sandbed isn't that deep, can place rocks around it. Mine haven't moved in about 6 months.

Ritteri's -- way to hard to find a healthy one, let alone keep.

I've found BTAs, to be the easiest hosting anemone to keep. However, I sold all of mine -- where cloning too often and taking up SPS space.

What kind of lights do you have? If you got it to eat that is a very good sign. Is its mouth tightly closed?

urville,
what lights do you have? I have a sebae that looked similar to yours did. I am no anemone expert at all but just telling you my experience with mine. Yours does look unhealthy but if his mouth stays tightly closed mostly and he is eating every few days you may end up with a nice anemone
Mine is going on two years old and is under 125w MH just under the water surface ( and stayed on that rock even thru) a tank move with two clarkii clowns hosting in it. It is close to the size of a basketball, yes basketball, when fully expanded. Mine is definitely more tan and extended too . also as a sidenote, my clarkii clown pair just laid eggs under the edge of the anemone.
Good Luck if you try it, but return if your hesitant
Hope this helps, Scott

He wont foot man. I came in there at he got sucked into a higher flow are. See i put on one side my return... blowing out of the pvc against the bottom glass. and on the other side one of my seio m620's this prevents any over abundance of deitritus etc. anyway, i'm not a firm dsb believer, or lets just say it was an added cost and i was being frugal and i know they arent necessary.

but he got caught in and i found him spinning around in it. I went in just now before lights out... just

his mouth was closed, i tried to give him a pellet, and he moved a bit and opened but to no avail, he couldnt seem to get food to his mouth before it could fall apart and get away, but it looked like he was trying. So then i took a pair of tweezers and brought it to him, frozen mysis and he ate two of the little things, anyway i went in before lights out and either he upchucked a bit of his stomach or he was spitting out the little shell they have, the fish sorta do this too, or he didnt eat it at all, but this way later, like a while so...

idk... probably better to just take him back and risk mail ordering one.

OH YEAH! i have PC's... I was thinking of at least going to t-5's but I wonder how much difference it would really make. I'm a bit t-5 skeptical, please forgive me... I was looking at a 6x55? are they 55 watts at 48's? anyway... yeah... rambling...

so....

Last edited:
It wont let me edit this far later... but I believe he's going back healthier than I got him. Last night he sat in the hole I put him in, and for a small time puffed up his foot a bunch of times. Then my arrow came by and ****ed him off, all quiet. So tonight after having eaten, I took this photo, which seems like an improvement so...

anendark.jpg

The first one you linked, it still bleached and I would not consider it healthy at all.

Granted this is an LTA, but the point will be the same. When I got mine it came in bleached,
GLTA.jpg

This is what it looked like after a couple of months ( and color wise what your Sebae should look like )
abouttime.jpg

The second one looks good, though that isn't an exact picture of what it will look like.

So not only the LFS, but... well i went and looked at numerous sites that sell livestock... even many of the well loved ones... and nearly everyone sells this sebae, in that color, with those tips.

I cant believe it, what a ripoff. Either this is incorrect, not trying to be offensive, or all of these online livestock sites are selling known unhealthy anemones. In fact they are using a picture of an unhealthy anemone to sell it. Even the place I got my excellent order of my solar fairy wrasse and snails from has that picture, well a similar one.

Good sites too...

Well I cant have an LTA due to size, no one sells a good sebae well... i'm not trusting anywhere now, Ritteris according to my research dont live, carpets are too big and I also hear aggressive and die, so bubble tip is about my only choice...

this about the only thing about this hobby that i hate. People are so $ orientated, that they not only are killing these animals probably in droves, but they still sell them to the customer. sigh...

Last edited:
No offense taken at all. Trust me when I first started in this hobby I thought that white was a natural color for Sebae's, until mine turned healthy -- regaining is zoax -- and darkened up.

It is really a shame that vendors are still selling them like that. Some sites even list "white" ones along with healthy colored ones.

Well and the aquarists are to blame too. They buy things unsuitable. They dont do research, OR.. like they are the first to say "be damned the guidelines, i'll succeed", they just buy it anyway only to show up later disgruntled.

I'm sad because i know i cant keep him, but at least he started stretching out here, back there hell probably shrivel up or be bought by some other misinformed aquarist and die there.

we treat our hobbies... our animals... just like we treat ourselves and our trash, like litter. all too eager to fail, cause once it's flushed or bagged up its out of sight out of mind, much like the planet as a whole... aye... this is depressing

Well does anyone reccomend anything else? i have a 75, LTA's are just.. too bg, 2 feet when full size is out of control, thats half my tank!!

Either way thanks for the sobering help. Maybe i'll check the trade and sell boards here...

I would be surprised is an LTA actually ended up getting that big, though I suppose it could if fed a lot. But that would/could happen with any anemone. My BTA was at least 15" across when I sold it -- and it was splitting too.

It is one thing to try to "save" an animal if you feel you have the time and abilities to do so. But, it is another if one is doing with out thinking things through.

I like getting my anemone from either an LFS that I trust, or online that shows the picture of the actual one I would be getting. And from a place that I've had good luck from in the past.

Actually I had rouble today finding a site with WYSIWYG anemones. Yeah... I dont have an LFS considered trustworthy. Actually I hear bad things all the way past the next nearest metro area so... online it is. Yeah, I dont mind larger, just not outraegeous, my friends sebae is easily 12" across.

yeah thats why i didnt keep it, i dont know if I can make it live. I can get it to eat, but it still wont foot. I just feel bad and I am expressing it is all.

Back