Sediment after making 65g of saltwater?

lolgranny

The DQ King
Hey everyone

So each month i make 65g of saltwater with reef crystals and this month i did it and after i had some sort of film / sediment on the sides of the holding tank / powerhead. It was almost like a chalk, like calcium percipitate(but not hard like it). After each time i make the water i clean the tank out so its "clean" so im not sure what it is. The DT is doing just fine, so this is boggling mah headddd!

Is this normal?

Thanks
Dave

Was the salt caked or exposed to air a long time before you mixed it? I had a bucket go bad because I left the lid off one day and caked up and had quite a bit of precipitate in the mix bucket.

Oh and from what I've read when that happens the over quality of the salt water you make is pretty poor with fewer trace elements and whatnot.

Was the salt caked or exposed to air a long time before you mixed it? I had a bucket go bad because I left the lid off one day and caked up and had quite a bit of precipitate in the mix bucket.

Oh and from what I've read when that happens the over quality of the salt water you make is pretty poor with fewer trace elements and whatnot.

The bucket was brand new, just opened it. No clumps whatsoever. I didnt dump it in super fast either. Maybe quicket then normal which made me think some Ca precipitated out?

Reef Crystals is known for doing that and the company says it's nothing to worry about. I use good salt that doesn't do that...

Here we go...:beer:

Haha you and your good salt!

What are ya using Jeff?

I get Reef Crystals at cost so its almost pointless for me to use anything else :/

Hehe, it's always easy to get a good argument/discussion going on this subject :)
I use Seachem or Tropic Marin. For me it's only an extra buck or two per water change and the results are better for me. I've used almost all of them and found those two to be the best for my needs.
Lot's of people say Reef Crystals works great for them and why should they change? Try a bucket and you will see...

I got that EVERY time from reef crystals and I had too many problems with inconsistency. I know where you are coming from cost saving and all...I use Corallife now and while the alkalinity is pretty low and you'll have to suppliment it seems to have made a major difference with my sps. I'm getting lost color back into my system.

Picked me up a 50 gallon box from frag swap for $20

I also have that stuff from reef crystals every time, its like little white dots floating around and then theres a little pile of it at the bottom of the bucket that never dissolves. I also got a box of that new stuff from the swap so we'll see how that goes!

Darn reef crystals! haha

I would change...... but with the savings and with my brother and i using it on our 2 tanks, soon to be 3 its hard to change. So upp yours all you non reef crystal users :D haha

Thanks fellas, i wasnt sure if i was the only one!

Jeff ill save you a cup of fresh saltwater scum so you can fit in :)

I've used RC for the entire time I was in the hobby with absolutely no ill effects. I would get a brown film develop on the container and my pumps after mixing the salt, after reading thread after thread on what it was I just decided to ignore it. Clean the container every 6 months or so, and go about your business.

There are a lot of quality salts out there but for the money, I always chose RC.

I've used RC for the entire time I was in the hobby with absolutely no ill effects. I would get a brown film develop on the container and my pumps after mixing the salt, after reading thread after thread on what it was I just decided to ignore it. Clean the container every 6 months or so, and go about your business.

There are a lot of quality salts out there but for the money, I always chose RC.

PFFFFFFFFF what do you know you DONT have a tank!!!! :lol2::spin1::wavehand:

haha HAD TO! :D

I figured as much, thanks buddy! Makes me not worry about cleaning it out every time i use it up!

It's a voice from the grave, coming back to give a small nugget of advice close to Halloween!!!

BOOO!!!!!

:bigeyes:

Oh I forgot when I used reef crystals I would also get stringy hair like compounds floating on surface. I never figured that one out.

Back