Seio's + Wavemaster = Yeah Right?

That's the bracket, but the rest of the mod is what I'm really looking for.

lol yeah i had that one saved but not sure if i wanted to spend the 50+ dollars on that one or get the parts from a hobby shop to save a little:p but they are nice looking

I don't understand why they wouldn't start, though. A lot of powerheads can't be run with wave timers because the shafts will break from the repeated starts/stops, not because of anything special with the wave time.

The instruction book that came with my Tunze said it was not to be used with a wave timer, and it should not be stopped/started more than once/day. (I think it was once/day).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7489581#post7489581 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kau_cinta_ku
well i have to agree with Inferno after reading this i was gonna post a pic. of where it said do not use with wavemakers from mine. well i looked at the whole box and instructions and i don't see anything about it.

Thank you....anyway, someone did post that the warning was on the little tag on the plug. The tag that says, hey if you grab this with wet hands and jam it into a socket, it will knock you on your ****, that tag that no one reads...says oh yeah, no timers or wavers alike...it's all good though, I knew it didn't sound goog going on and off like that so like I said, I stopped it immediately and just used 2 MJ's in the wavemaster. Thanks for the link to the mod, I was hoping someone would post it, I wanna try it on my 1200's.

Reef Central uses profanity filters for a reason. If you have to use symbols in place of letters to get a word past said filters, that word is not welcome here. For future reference, do not attempt to circumvent the profanity filters.

Last edited by a moderator:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7492454#post7492454 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Infern0
Thank you....anyway, someone did post that the warning was on the little tag on the plug. The tag that says, hey if you grab this with wet hands and jam it into a socket, it will knock you on your ****, that tag that no one reads...says oh yeah, no timers or wavers alike...it's all good though, I knew it didn't sound goog going on and off like that so like I said, I stopped it immediately and just used 2 MJ's in the wavemaster. Thanks for the link to the mod, I was hoping someone would post it, I wanna try it on my 1200's.

Reef Central uses profanity filters for a reason. If you have to use symbols in place of letters to get a word past said filters, that word is not welcome here. For future reference, do not attempt to circumvent the profanity filters.

I had 4 MJ 1200's hooked up to a wave maker and found them all to be noisy on start-up, plus they hummed. Very annoying. Finally got 2 SEIO 1500 stream pumps and they are great at circulating water. I let them run while lights are on at opposite ends of the tank and they produce great turbulent and random flow, no wavemaker needed.

Just my $0.02, I've been running the same 3 Seio's (the 620s) on a wavemaker for 1.5 years now. They have always restarted for me. I clean them about every 3-4 months. For half of that time they were on the Red Sea wavemaker, and now are on the wavemaker part of my ReefKeeper. I saw the warning, but decide to take a chance.

I was planning on doing the exact setup as Toddrtex with the Red Sea wavemaker, but when I looked closely at the Seio page on Marinedepot.com, it clearly states that this product is not to be used with wave making devices.

I may just be a lucky person, maybe it is cleaning them every 3-4 months, I am not sure why I've never had an issue.
But heck I also never had any issues with my RIO 600s.
But heck part 2 -- I also have a CC sandbed for 6 + years without
any issues ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7489613#post7489613 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DgenR8
Acrylic bracket hangs over the rim of your tank to hold the pump. The link I posted is a DIY kind of thing, but there is someone out there making these things with machinery that makes them look much more "professional".
I got a couple of the Algae Free Powerhead Magnet holders [forget the exact product name] - I know Premium Aquatics + other sponsors now carry them.

IMO, much simpler + more options than an acrylic hanger. Have the smaller of the sizes on my 58 Oceanic ... holds a 6060 stream just fine :)

Both impellers out of my Seio's look exactly alike now after only 1 hour on the wavemaker. Neither of them will run now and I have to assume it is the little black piece that I am searching for. These were the 2600's.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7489480#post7489480 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DgenR8
For the record, Rio (makers of Seio) has been fighting a pretty bad rep on the Internet BBs. Their original line of pumps left a lot to be desired. Many people complained of serious issues ranging from getting shocked, to an entire tank loss, to a fire in their home all blamed on their RIO pumps.
I still won't put a RIO powerhead or pump in my tank, but I do have a SEIO. It moves some water (don't get me wrong, this thing is no Tunze), restarts after being turned off, and has not given me a hint of trouble since I got it about a year ago. Seio appears to be a much higher quality item than it's predecessors.
That said, I like Maxijet pumps a LOT. There is nothing I know of that will perform better on a wave maker, and I recently found a guy that makes a modification kit for the Maxi 1,200 that increases it's flow tremendously. I'll see if I can find a link for that....

From what I understand the problems with the rio pumps were with their first gen pumps. The 2 prong outlet pumps. Rio has redesigned their first gen pumps and are now useing a 3 prong outlet. I haven't heard very many people having problems with these. I use a 2500 as my return and its working great.

Back