Selling my 400G tank. Complete system for sale.

Crusty Old Shellback

MASVC OG
Premium Member
Well after 9 years of having this large tank, I’ve decided to downsize for a while. I’m not leaving the hobby, just want to downsize to a 130 I am already working on and go play with some of my other hobbies. So the complete system is up for sale, including the oak cabinetry.

History of the tank since I've had it can be read about here.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630143

Money shot

The good:
400 G acrylic tank. 7’ long X 3’ tall X 2.5’ wide. Built in center overflow. Tank was built by Margareta man some time ago. I think O2many fish had a hand in it as well. The corners are reinforced with stainless steel screws.
100G acrylic sump.
Steel stand.
Custom oak cabinets build around complete system. They reach from floor to ceiling. I did all of the cabinet work.
Hawaiian beach sand imported from Hawaii.
Lots of live rock, big pieces.
10 korilia 1400 wave makers controlled by a Red Sea Pro wave maker.
Reeflo return pump. The new one with a switch for 3 different flow rates.
ASM skimmer with a Mag 9 pump w/ needle wheel impeller and venture.
4 heaters of various sizes.
Dr. Tims bio pellet reactor.
Whole house filter canister that I run either a carbon filter or .5 micron filter in it run by a Mag 9.
I have a few branching hammer corals in the tank currently, green and blue ones. It’s basically a FOWLR
Current fish included:
12” + streamers Male Blonde Naso Tang. Had for a few years now.
12” Sohal tang
9” Pink tail Trigger. He came with the tank when I got it so over 10 years old.
7” Niger Trigger.
6” majestic Angel
3 4” Singapore Angles
4” Kelin Butterfly
5” Red Corris Wrasse
4” Red Line Wrasse
3” black/yellow Damsel
8” Engineer Goby
Large black long spine urchin

The bad:
I have no lights. I was using Solar tubes and sun light to light the tank.
Tank has scratches. They can be buffed out and I know of a company that can do it for around 500 bucks, with the tank full. Also the tank had 2 closed loop systems at one time. But I’ve since blocked off the holes. The bulkhead fittings are still there and could be reused I believe if you wanted to reopen them. There are 2 in the back panel about ¾ of the way down, either side of the over flow. 2 are in the bottom about 1/3 of the way in from each end. 2 are on the lower left of the left end of the tank. 2 are on the upper right of the right end of the tank. I have the tank set up with the front and left side as viewing areas.
Stand is rusty after 10+ years of use. Could use a good sanding and repaint.
Wood has some water damage. Most of it is in great shape. But there is some water damage. The wood on the one end also has some sun damage. All of the hinges probably need replaced.
The fluted wood frame and wood rossettes around the front and side frame were glued to the tank using construction adhesive. Not sure if it will come off without scratching the acrylic.
I also have 5 50G rubber maid trashcans I’ll be glad to loan out to help you make the move. All I ask is that they be returned when your done. I’m sure I’ve got some more stuff in the shed that you can have if your interested in them. Probably some more stuff I’m forgetting.

Asking $3k OBO. I don’t “need” to sell it. Just want to throttle back some.
Maybe trade for a good reliable car for my daughter.

Some of the fish.

Under tank.

Last edited:
The closed loop fittings that were pluged.

Back

Lower left end

Upper right end

Some of the water damage

inside doors on the right

left end

Eventually I'd like to go bigger, 8-10' long by 4' wide, just not as deep. But for now, I'm reluctanly going to sell this one and take it easy for a while.

here's a couple of bad pictures of 2 other fish that I finally found out swimming. A orchid dottyback and my 8" engineer goby. This is what one looks like fully grown.

Thanks Ray, I just got a quote from him. I think I'll live with the scratches...

Good luck with the sale!

Back