Selling Tank, what to keep?

evw2k

I have to go off to college soon and need to start thinking about taking my tank down. :( I really don't want to, it feels like I was just getting started.

Luckily I don't have too much livestock to worry about. I don't want to sell it back to the lfs because their buyback prices are about 10% of worth.

What I am really wondering about, though, is what I should keep for when I am older and decide to start again. I have a 55 gal now and think I will definately go bigger next time.

I have

2 x maxi 1200s
4 x 55w actinics with a nice little jeebo hood
a broken mh ballast
2 unused 150W xm 10000K bulbs
2 unused retrofit mh hoods
an acryllic sump that I made myself that fits under the tank
heater
octopus 110 nw skimmer
magnum canister filter pump thing for cleaning and temporary filtering
computer fans to cool my unused mh stuff
not sure what size mag i use in the sump, probably 750 or something
about 50 lbs live rock and a good 6 in of live sand

What should i keep? This whole process seems like a pain, especially becuase I just paid full price for all of these things less than a year ago!

you can sell all of the livestock in your local forum. Or in the livestock sales forum here. Keep all of the dry goods.

at least keep the lights, skimmer, and fans. piece out the LR and sand- you won't be able to keep it. i agree with frank2926 though- dry goods you should always keep - unless you really need some $

i would dry out and bleach the LR and store it. it will work as base rock once you start up again. you wont be able to sell it for anymore than it would cost to get base/dry rock in the future. in fact if you can store it i would keep it all. the 55 could make a nice size sump/fuge when you get a bigger tank. the only thing i would ditch is the sand.

sell it all. Who knows where technology will be when you get ready again. You will also (hopefully) have a good new job and may want nicer stuff anyway. Sell it all while its worth something.

Back