Serpent Starfish?

SilverShark

I have a sand-sifting starfish and even though they are amazing, I would like a starfish that is more sociable! ;)

I saw at my LFS today a serpent starfish, it was brown with black stipes and was wondering who owns (or who has) one and if they are reef safe?

I know the green ones are to be avoided but are the brown ones ok to have?

Serpents and brittle starfish are (for the most part) reef safe, although they are not very sociable. If you're looking for a starfish that will be visible most of the time, you might check into a Linkia starfish. These are reef safe, and stay in plain sight most of the time.

I've heard many people have trouble keeping Linkias alive though for various reasons.

Why should the green harlequins be avoided? I've had 3 green ones in my 38 gallon since last fall and they haven't hurt anything. They only come out when you feed the tank but you can usually see a leg or two sticking up so you always know where they are. I know they're pretty unsocial but I still think they're one of the coolest things in the tank. They're cool to feed pieces of frozen food. If I put the tongs in the water with no food now, they start coming out looking for some. People really like watching them eat.

i have a brittle star and it rarely comes out except at night. but it has never done any damage to any of my other inhabitants. when you do see it, it is a pretty cool starfish.

Back