Serpentman's 300g upgrade

serpentman

part time superhero
First, a little brief history. Its been a year since I set my 150g up. I never was thrilled with the tank dimensions and have had dreams of an upgrade pretty much all year.

DSCF7591.jpg

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1311428

I recently brought home this bad boy and will be working over the next couple of weeks to get it fired up.

DSCF7696.jpg

DSCF7693.jpg

Thanks guys. I am planning to "break ground" on it this weekend. Once I do, I plan to post regular updates.

Sweet sketchup Jeff, i love that fishroom, man you work from home and you have a fishroom like that.... that is the LIFE. :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14577992#post14577992 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
Sweet sketchup Jeff, i love that fishroom, man you work from home and you have a fishroom like that.... that is the LIFE. :)

Thanks man! I won't lie, it has its fringe benefits. However, the downside is I do have to spend a lot of time traveling. Given recent changes at work, it looks like this will be increasing.

Well, the weekend didn't plan out like I thought so I didn't get as much progress as I had hoped. However, the stage is set to get going. Once I am rolling, I will post regular updates.

DSCF7700.jpg

Here's my equipment list as well.

Lighting:
3 x 250W XM 250K w/ Lumenbright reflectors
4 x 6' VHO Actinics

Geo Calcium 618 Calcium Reactor with 18" second chamber
Geo Kalk Reactor
24" DIY Carbon Reactor
Precision Marine SR-35 phosphate reactor
Reeflo Orca 200 skimmer with pro kit and autoshut-off waste reservoir

Gen-X PCX-70 return pump
Blueline 55 HD return pump

2x Tunze 6100
AC3 with 2 DC8 and Aquasurf

Aux tanks:

30gal fuge
40gal frag tank
75gal sump

Actually, they aren't nearly as blue as many other 20K's I've seen. So far the growth has been really impressive as well.

I love fish rooms just awesome! have you dedicate 1 or 2 full electrical circuits to this fish room in your main panel?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14630280#post14630280 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by serpentman
Actually, they aren't nearly as blue as many other 20K's I've seen. So far the growth has been really impressive as well.

I was kidding, xm20k is one thing, but 250k that's dark Y0! :eek1:

Looks Great, saving up to get same tank. In fact I got a qoute from AO for similarly built tank but with overflows on back wall instead of corners, boy what a hike in price between manufacturered and custom.

i live right by aquarium obsessed. Let me tell you, their prices are steep BUT everything is custom and QUALITY is better than any other manufacture around. THEY ARE THE BEST!!! my future tanks will all be from there. Im going to the owners place to see his L shaped tank this weekend, honestly they tanks are incredible!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14635737#post14635737 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Padrino
I love fish rooms just awesome! have you dedicate 1 or 2 full electrical circuits to this fish room in your main panel?

Yes, I have 2 x 20A circuits dedicated to the room with the ability to steal another if I get in a pinch. However, I think it won't be necessary.

I was kidding, xm20k is one thing, but 250k that's dark Y0!

You think so? I am running the 250's now on my tank which has the same height. I was running 400's and found with the LB's they seared everything in the top 8-10".

Looks Great, saving up to get same tank. In fact I got a qoute from AO for similarly built tank but with overflows on back wall instead of corners, boy what a hike in price between manufacturered and custom.

I was getting quotes last spring just before Marineland announced this deep tank product line. Really glad I didn't pull the trigger, it would have cost easily an extra $1K.

i live right by aquarium obsessed. Let me tell you, their prices are steep BUT everything is custom and QUALITY is better than any other manufacture around. THEY ARE THE BEST!!! my future tanks will all be from there. Im going to the owners place to see his L shaped tank this weekend, honestly they tanks are incredible!

I've heard nothing but good things about Aq. Obsessed. I really like the Marineland tanks, esp. for the $. However, like everything, there are varying degrees of quality.

You may need a little more flow, depending on what your keeping. I have a 300 with a Dart return through 4 Loc-line and 4 Tunze 6105 streams.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14651809#post14651809 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mflamb
You may need a little more flow, depending on what your keeping. I have a 300 with a Dart return through 4 Loc-line and 4 Tunze 6105 streams.

Without a doubt I will need to add more flow.

Getting started I will run a GenX dedicated to the tank which should achieve ~1300-1400GPH turnover. I was thinking of adding penductors in the interim. I am planing to add 2 more 6100's (or comparable) in the near future.

I am also toying with the idea of swapping out the genx altogether and going with a dart to save on electrical and boost flow.

Came home from a business trip last night and was feeling ambitious so I finally got the stand together.

DSCF7701.jpg

Because the tank will sit 42" off of the ground, I built a 1' ledge off of the back to stand/kneel on while working.

DSCF7702.jpg

Back