Setting up a 120

ThinIce

Well I finally am setting up my 120g (4*2*2) reef tank. This is my first truly own tank. I got into the hobby just over a year ago with my roommates and we set up a 55g reef. We definitely had our share of grief and enjoyment out of that tank, learning quite a bit.

Anyways, here are a few shots:
2216061.JPG

2216062.JPG

2216063.JPG

2216064.JPG

Thanks to "meg" for the tank/stand/light and "bubbletip2" for the sump/pump.

What size powerheads do you reccomend for this size tank?
I have two Koralia 2's, but not sure if that would be good enough...

I run 4 K4's on the wavemaker on a 90 gal, but for my new 110 gal build I'm going with 2 Vortechs.

I think it depends on how you aquascape your tank and what kind of stuff you keep, but I strongly believe that the more flow you have the better it is for your tank.

Just an FYI... I will be selling my 4 k4s and the wavemaker soon when my new 110 is up....

+2 on the K4's I ran 2 3's in my 38 and will have 3 in my 65 once they are cleaned. Where you at in the SW burbs

Well here are some pics of all the live rock I added as well as the completion of the plumbing and wiring...
221606IMG_0780.JPG

221606IMG_0783.JPG

221606IMG_0784.JPG

221606IMG_0785.JPG

Well it's been a crazy few weeks, but my tank is doing well:
This past week I installed a Vortech mp40w for much needed flow. This thing rocks!
I have added around 8-10 frags thanks to "mario4254" and "PI guy"
This week I added the following items:
-5 blue damsels (i know they may be devils but mine aren't too bad and their color is sick!)
-male and female green mandarin gobies (Hopefully they become a mated pair :-/)
-flame angel
-potters angel
-2 pepperint shrimp
-2 blue linckia star fish (may sell 1, $25, pm me if interested)

I am in the process of installing a 10g tank as a refugium for chaeto to harvest copepods.
I am also planning on setting up a phyo farm to aid in feeding said copepods.

Pictures to follow.

Based on what people have said here, I'm not sure that the Flame Angel will be a great fit in a reef. If you are going the reef route, you're probably best trying to get rid of it now.

Did you build that sump yourself? If so, details please!

mandrin gobies need an established pod population to survive. i hope you got them from another reefer and not an lfs so hopefully they are eating.

Flames can be reef safe. I had one for about a year without any incident to corals until my roommate crashed the tank.... I'm hoping this one will have the same personality, otherwise he's gone. I have an established pod population from the live rock I purchased as well as the live rock I had in the 55. I am also working on setting up the fuge to make sure the population stays abundant. Yup, straight blues, no incident yet with them... I bought the sump from a fellow reefer, I'll get back to you on the brand.

Reeflo dart.

after I added the damsels, I realized that only the "chromis" school. However, the damsels appear to be staying sorta close together in my tank...

shoulda got the atlantic blue chromis but the are larger than their cousins and get to be 5" in length.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15645120#post15645120 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ThinIce
I realized that only the "chromis" school.

In the wild yes, but not necessarily in captivity, unless you have a HUGE tank, and I don't consider this a huge tank.

Also, slow down on stocking, and spend more time researching. You are way over stocked for such a new tank. The mandarin is probably not going to make it unless it is eating frozen. As stated, it needs a mature tank. Five blue damsels is a whole lot of aggression IMO. As far as the shrimp, they often times do not survive new systems.

As stated earlier, my tank has an established amount of copepods. All the live rock / sand is established. So basically I went from an established 55 and moved to a 120 once I came back from school. So far all is well, all fish are eating, and the mandarins are hunting my copepods. Working on getting them to take frozen... but I doubt they'll run out of live food in there, especially if I can get my fuge to reproduce them as sort of a copepod sanctuary...

Back