Setting up a frag only tank

Deep Reef

I've been thinking about setting up a frag only tank. I'm thinking it still would require a refugium and a skimmer. Would the amount of dry rock used for your typical DT still be required? I'm thinking you would still have to let it cycle prior to putting corals in. Is that correct? Any help in getting started would be appreciated.

Thanks

Your question was about rock. Here is some things to think about. Consider using marble tile on the bare bottom glass. The stone act like rock and allows bacteria etc to grow on it like rock. No sand is a better option than sand for a frag tank. You will get detritus waste accumulating on the bottom which needs to get siphoned out when doing water change but that's better than it getting buried in the sand. You can put rock in the fuge if you want, however that's how I started in my frag tank and had to remove all the rock as it all traps detritus which breaks down into nitrates and phosphates. Hence you don't need rock. Next question is fish or no fish? Go light on fish!!!! The only rent food!

Back