Setup and Fish List Planning

ZenGuitarGuy

Hi all, I am close to setting up my first saltwater aquarium, which will be a 65G FOWLR. Here are some specs of the set-up:

Reef Octopus 100 Classic skimmer
2 x Jager 150 watt heaters
TLF Phosban reactor
2 x Hydor 850 circulation pumps
Spectrapure RODI system, 90G/Day
Marineland .5 watt LED light with evening setting
50 lbs base rock (Marco) and 20 lbs Fiji/Pukani live rock
Carib Sea aragonite sand (shallow sand bed)
Ice Cap backup power supply
DIY screen top (made from screen door materials) to keep jumpers in.

Testing: Salifert (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate), Milwaukee PH meter, TDS meter, refractometer.

Quarantine: 10G with Marineland Mini HOB, Hydor heater (50watt), PVC pipe sections, air stone and Top Fin pump, typical screen top, no light.

Are there any tests that I am missing here? I am going sumpless for this setup. The Marineland light is a basic unit, so I'm curious if anyone has any feedback about that (too basic? Not bright enough?).

Fish List: I am looking for critique here. I have been reading a lot, here and Liveaquaria. This is the list I've formulated, and the order in which I believe I would introduce them. This is a long-term plan, not in a rush. Looking for success and happy fish. This list used to include a snowflake eel, but I think I will avoid that.

1--Royal Gramma
2--Blue Flasher Wrasse
3--Bristletail Filefish (or Orange Tail)
4--Coral Beauty (or Cherub Angel)
5--Valentini Puffer
6--Flame Hawkfish (or two-spot)

Any insight into these species, and the order of introduction, or any other advice or criticism is more than welcome. Thanks in advance. Love this forum!

Martin.

Least aggressive to most. Its good you have a plan so you can keep to it. Many plans change once you get into the lfs, stick to it and you will be fine. Good job on the 2x heaters. Hawk and angel towards the end definitely. The others should not be a problem. Filefish can be difficult so maybe intoduce earlier on that one. Good luck!

Hawk and angel towards the end definitely. The others should not be a problem. Filefish can be difficult so maybe intoduce earlier on that one. Good luck!

Thank you, I'll definitely keep this in mind. I haven't noticed anything about filefish being difficult though; why is that?

Back