Setup & Review of MTC PROCAL Calcium Reactor

ReefBum

This reactor has been around for a while and I have had great success using it on my SPS dominated tanks. For those of you who are interested, I put together this video to provide a review and a step by step setup guide.

https://youtu.be/61DCkO0M0z8

Nice!

Long time user of this reactor as well. I ran it largely as bought for the first 10 years or so, but have modified it quite a bit since then. Typical excellent build quality from MTC.

Great review!! I like the Dreambox I see in the background! You have great taste in equipment!

Nice!

Long time user of this reactor as well. I ran it largely as bought for the first 10 years or so, but have modified it quite a bit since then. Typical excellent build quality from MTC.
Yes, they build quality stuff. I used to have one of their skimmers as well.

Reviving an old thread. Great video, thanks!

I am about to install a pro-cal on my system and have a couple of questions regarding the plumbing. I had planned to plumb the blue feed line to a manifold off of my return pump. In the video I noted you are relying on suction from the circulation pump to draw from the sump. Would there be an issue plumbing it to the manifold?

If I do choose to "drop" the intake in the sump, what strainer should I use? There isn't one in there now.

Thanks in advance.

It is designed to work via circulation pump suction, though plumbing to a manifold works too. I ran mine both ways in the past. Trouble with the manifold approach is that mine was constantly clogging up. Also, depending upon the pressure generated from your pump, a second needle valve on the input may be needed, which further exacerbates the clogging problem.

I now run mine with a masterflex pump (in pull mode) which is vastly superior in all respects.

Reviving an old thread. Great video, thanks!

I am about to install a pro-cal on my system and have a couple of questions regarding the plumbing. I had planned to plumb the blue feed line to a manifold off of my return pump. In the video I noted you are relying on suction from the circulation pump to draw from the sump. Would there be an issue plumbing it to the manifold?

If I do choose to "drop" the intake in the sump, what strainer should I use? There isn't one in there now.

Thanks in advance.
Not sure if it would work plumbed into the manifold but I guess it might not hurt to try. For what it is worth, I have been using this unit for many, many years and never had an issue with the blue feed line drawing from my sump. As for a strainer, the unit should have come with one but if you don't have it then I would try to hunt something down at Home Depot or a local plumbing store that would fit over a 1/4" tube. I would also imagine that you could reach out to MTC for one.

It is designed to work via circulation pump suction, though plumbing to a manifold works too. I ran mine both ways in the past. Trouble with the manifold approach is that mine was constantly clogging up. Also, depending upon the pressure generated from your pump, a second needle valve on the input may be needed, which further exacerbates the clogging problem.

I now run mine with a masterflex pump (in pull mode) which is vastly superior in all respects.

Not sure if it would work plumbed into the manifold but I guess it might not hurt to try. For what it is worth, I have been using this unit for many, many years and never had an issue with the blue feed line drawing from my sump. As for a strainer, the unit should have come with one but if you don't have it then I would try to hunt something down at Home Depot or a local plumbing store that would fit over a 1/4" tube. I would also imagine that you could reach out to MTC for one.

Thanks for the advice. A masterflex pump may be in my future, but for now either the drop in or manifold will have to do. Based on your experience and feedback I am going to give the drop-in approach a try. Will hunt around HD for a strainer today, otherwise I will reach out to MTC.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't received a response to my email to MTC and my attempts at calling were unsuccessful. I will probably just use a pre-filter like those used in sprinkler systems. That said does anyone know where I can obtain a replacement for these? Or what they are? I was thinking silicon tubing, but don't want to assume.

2cf50001e638c2731d8fdb38dcbaeb85.jpg

a88bbc36402414d774f9b47403b61ca3.jpg

Thanks!

You don't need it anymore. It is not installed on the newer units.

I haven't received a response to my email to MTC and my attempts at calling were unsuccessful. I will probably just use a pre-filter like those used in sprinkler systems. That said does anyone know where I can obtain a replacement for these? Or what they are? I was thinking silicon tubing, but don't want to assume.

2cf50001e638c2731d8fdb38dcbaeb85.jpg

a88bbc36402414d774f9b47403b61ca3.jpg

Thanks!

Do you mean the silicone 'boots' or the flow gauge. As noted the newer models don't have the gauge. Doesn't really do much and Jeff told me once that they just got too expensive to justify inclusion. The 'boots' are just silicone tubing.

Do you mean the silicone 'boots' or the flow gauge. As noted the newer models don't have the gauge. Doesn't really do much and Jeff told me once that they just got too expensive to justify inclusion. The 'boots' are just silicone tubing.
I am talking about the flow gauge.

I too run a MTC PROCAL without the strainer. No problems at all. As a matter of fact a local high end lFS who sells them said they are sold without a strainer now.

I was originally looking to replace the silicone boots, but if the flow gauge is of little or no value, then I will just run a new line and omit it altogether.

Thanks!

I too run a MTC PROCAL without the strainer. No problems at all. As a matter of fact a local high end lFS who sells them said they are sold without a strainer now.

Thanks! This is great to know. I had searched everywhere for a 1/4" strainer and had only come up with Pre-booster pump inline filters, which I thought would restrict flow significantly.

He might not even need those particular ones if he gets rid of the entire flow gauge app.

Thanks for the posts. Going to get rid of the flow gauge.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I am considering this calcium reactor and was curious regarding the following:
1.) is there problems with the outlet needle valve getting clogged? Can you easily source and replace these valves?
2.) it looks like there is some kind of float valve in the main reactor chamber. Is this for the pressure gauge? Any problems with this set-up?
3.) is there a pH port on the top of the chamber.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back