Sex/Fighting

Mascis

Sorry to disappoint, but this is a question on fish. Almost every fish I read about says they are unfriendly with their own kind, unless they are a mated pair. So my question is, what are the chances of 2 fish becoming a mated pair? Or becoming bitter enemies? Don't some change sex to accommodate? Do all?
Thanks

There are a surprising amount of fish that can change sex. Best way to get a "mated pair" is to get them young before they fully mature, even then you are taking the chance that they will not get along after maturity but your chances of success do increase.

Is there a specific fish that you are trying to get as a pair?

Not particularly no. I just really enjoy the way my 2 clowns seem to be best friends and thought it would be cool to have that with other fish too. Thanks for the info.

Not that many "mated pairs" will hang out the way the clown fish do.

It's more like they will tolerate each other and be in the same area together, but not necessarily interact the way clown fish will.

In my experience Pearly Jaw-fish would be one that would be some what close in interaction.... and if you like that sort of interaction thing, then a pistol shrimp with a goby (many to choose from) might fit the bill for you as well. I will tell you though, for some it's a love/hate relationship with pistol shrimp....you'll either love em or hate em....especially if he starts to rearrange the tank (not all do).

I've got a yellow watchman. Been thinking about getting a pistol. Problem is I'm sumpless and have some deep sand for the nitrate removal(silica sugar sized, fine aragonite, coarse aragonite mix). Not sure what a pistol would do to that. I passed on a diamond goby for the same reason. As long as he wouldn't constantly dig deep everywhere, it would probably be ok. Even if he just dug shallow, or stuck to one area, I wouldn't mind. I think the enjoyment of watching them interact would be worth it.

I have a YWG and a pistol shrimp in mine. I'm also sumpless. My pair has picked a certain rock and the Pistol shrimp has dug it's tunnels all around and under that rock. That area is maybe a 10" X 10" square. They pretty much stick to that one area. I've only caught the YWG out past his little hang out once when I happened to see him late at night when the lights were off. Other than that, they don't travel very much.

Those two are my favorite characters in my tank. That symbiotic relationship is just cool. I'm constantly turning my chair around hoping to catch a glimpse of that shrimp. In fact, he seems to be doing some excavating this morning. He's like a little bobcat. He'll grab piles of sand or individual rocks (I have the indo-pacific black and white sand that has some larger pieces of black lava rock in it) and move them from one side of the rock to the other. It's really very interesting. Then with one little flick of his tail, my YWG will tell him that someone is coming and the two will dart back into the tunnels and disappear for a few minutes.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll most likely get one in the near future. I've got deeper beds of sand on the left and right ends of the tank, but in the middle where I've got the rock piled is shallower. Perfect places to dig under there.

I've got a yellow watchman. Been thinking about getting a pistol. Problem is I'm sumpless and have some deep sand for the nitrate removal(silica sugar sized, fine aragonite, coarse aragonite mix). Not sure what a pistol would do to that. I passed on a diamond goby for the same reason. As long as he wouldn't constantly dig deep everywhere, it would probably be ok. Even if he just dug shallow, or stuck to one area, I wouldn't mind. I think the enjoyment of watching them interact would be worth it.

Well based on that, if you do decide to do so, then I would recommend the candy stripe pistol and NOT a tiger pistol. I've seen a candy stripe make tunnels right up to the edge of the tank that look like an ant farm does....it was pretty cool to see how he behaves when he's down in the burrow......I've seen several tiger pistols that just seem to never be happy with their own work and are constantly rearranging their area....and man can that move some sand around...lol

Got a Tiger Pistol(didn't have a candy stripe). Paired with the Watchman in 2 minutes. Simply amazing. Put him in 10 minutes ago and they're already in their cave together. I had hopes, but that was fast. Like they knew each other from back home or something.

Yep, that's how it happens....they are fun to watch!!!

You can also have more than 1 type of goby live with a pistol in the same burrow. I've seen as many as 3 with a shrimp

Back