Shallow Sand Bed - New

I am going to get rid of my bare bottom and I am going to add about an inch of crushed aragonite to the bottom of my reef. Any suggestions for creatures that I would need to add to keep the sand "clean"?

I have a sand star, it does so well that we have to feed it additional sinking food to keep it healthy. From what I understand they need a decent size tank, mine is only 36X24 sand bed.

Are their any stores locally (East Valley) that have crushed aragonite? I picked up a couple of bags of Carib-Sea Arag-Alive from Pets Inc. But I was looking for just aragonite....

This is just my opinion, but a sand sifting star probably does more harm than good. It eats a lot of the life that keeps the sandbed in "its naturally working condition." When I had a sandbed, there are tons on tiny organism within the sandbed that was giving it clean. There are tons of worms and animals like that.

Make sure you seed it from an existing sandbed.

This is just my opinion, but a sand sifting star probably does more harm than good. It eats a lot of the life that keeps the sandbed in "its naturally working condition." When I had a sandbed, there are tons on tiny organism within the sandbed that was giving it clean. There are tons of worms and animals like that.

Make sure you seed it from an existing sandbed.

Thanks for the help!

Back