Share Your Live Rock Coral Hitchhikers

griss

RC Mod
Staff member
RC Mod
Those who have bought aquacultured LR, share some pics of coral hitchhikers. Here are some of mine (pardon the Cyano, currently getting that under control) from KP Aquatics rock.

Porites and Blue Zoas and some stony coral that I’m not sure of the ID. The two stony corals actually have small colonies all over in the tank. Plus, I have a third stony species I just noticed cropping up tonight, but I can’t get a good picture of it yet.

Attachments

• 5DF24353-D376-4E40-9D35-9E8266FBD1B1.jpeg
    5DF24353-D376-4E40-9D35-9E8266FBD1B1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • E60E8AC2-21C3-4703-B8EE-F5BA2180CDA0.jpeg
    E60E8AC2-21C3-4703-B8EE-F5BA2180CDA0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
We kept it in a small tank in my shop. Funny to watch him tear up a scallop or a shrimp.

5504246F-1055-4ADA-BD35-05F31A171626.jpeg

By far my coolest was the Curley anemone. I also had a Porites but it died off and what I believe was a baby Pillar coral (Dendrogyra cylindrus) (was brown and super fuzzy) but that died off after doing well for a while. No pics of either of those. Also had crabs, snails and various pistol shrimp. Oh I’ll have to get a pic of it later but got a couple baby flame scallops. One is huge now and they’re doing great

View attachment 32376683

By far my coolest was the Curley anemone. I also had a Porites but it died off and what I believe was a baby Pillar coral (Dendrogyra cylindrus) (was brown and super fuzzy) but that died off after doing well for a while. No pics of either of those. Also had crabs, snails and various pistol shrimp. Oh I’ll have to get a pic of it later but got a couple baby flame scallops. One is huge now and they’re doing great

Very nice. What rock did those come on?

Very nice. What rock did those come on?
KP aquatics. I think if I was to order more, I might go with gulf or TBS just to see the variety difference. And I’ve always wanted the star corals and the chance for a rose coral

KP aquatics. I think if I was to order more, I might go with gulf or TBS just to see the variety difference. And I’ve always wanted the star corals and the chance for a rose coral
Same here. When I upgrade I’m going to get some gulf rock for variety. Although, I would like to ge more of KP’s rock too at some point.

Same here. When I upgrade I’m going to get some gulf rock for variety. Although, I would like to ge more of KP’s rock too at some point.
Definitely think a mix might do good next time. Although I think I’m going to plan it out a lot more. I went old school rock wall this time and I’m just not feeling it.

Definitely think a mix might do good next time. Although I think I’m going to plan it out a lot more. I went old school rock wall this time and I’m just not feeling it.
Yeah, when I do my upgrade I’m going to try to get more creative on my rock scape.

Thinking about trying to frag/propagate some of these Caribbean stonies after the tank upgrade.

Thinking about trying to frag/propagate some of these Caribbean stonies after the tank upgrade.
It’s kinda funny. I asked about doing that and was quite frankly surprised at the lack of information. Since I wasn’t sure with them being a “restricted” species technically. The gist that I got, and this is coming from US fish and wildlife was to ask your local fish and wildlife what they’re rules are…seemed odd to me since Ohio is land locked and well they have no rules for coral. I think it’d be cool to spread some of these around the hobby more. It seems, even for people who order the rock, they don’t tend to keep them cause they aren’t colorful

It’s kinda funny. I asked about doing that and was quite frankly surprised at the lack of information. Since I wasn’t sure with them being a “restricted” species technically. The gist that I got, and this is coming from US fish and wildlife was to ask your local fish and wildlife what they’re rules are…seemed odd to me since Ohio is land locked and well they have no rules for coral. I think it’d be cool to spread some of these around the hobby more. It seems, even for people who order the rock, they don’t tend to keep them cause they aren’t colorful
Well, maybe we should team up and get these spread around. It’s funny, many years ago (early 1990s), before fragging/trading frags became mainstream, I reached out to Leroy at GARF to see about partnering in creating a group to frag and spread corals. I was completely blown off…

Here’s one of my Flame Scallop hitchhikers (poor pic). My wife’s 32 has 2 more. Grown from smaller than a pinky nail. I broadcast feed live phyto 2-3 times a week
BE4F7CE6-4355-4613-84FD-AF2942BFBFF1.jpeg

These are the first ones I’ve ever been able to keep. I can only assume the broadcast phyto is part that’s sustaining them

I forgot about this guy. Just found him when cleaning my sump. Carribean clingfish (not sure on the species). Honestly thought he died as last I saw he was in my display and about 1/2 inch. He found his way to my sump and is about 1.5 inches.
49D90CC8-AC1C-4CD4-9A30-C851C07DB867.jpeg
FB04AA80-9C4E-472B-8284-A9DF879A377C.jpeg

I forgot about this guy. Just found him when cleaning my sump. Carribean clingfish (not sure on the species). Honestly thought he died as last I saw he was in my display and about 1/2 inch. He found his way to my sump and is about 1.5 inches. View attachment 32376937View attachment 32376938
Wow, that trumps anything I’ve gotten so far. Really nice.

On a bad note, I was looking at ordering gulf rock after the holidays and it looks like everyone is out of stock.

Back