Shark questions

fishykid9212

My friend has this ridiculously big tank that he's going to make a shark tank. That being said I was going to hatch an egg for him and then give it to him once it grows a bit. (banded bamboo/cat shark) My questions are:
What size tank will I b eable to do this in? and Is there anything specific I need to know other than keeping the water quality up?
I have another tank that I can take water/rock from and I'll probably get some live sand.
Thanks for the help

You can hatch a shark in as small as a 10 gallon tank, but just be prepared to move it to bigger quarters soon.
Water parameters must be kept as close to perfect as possible.
Just make sure you cycle the tank before putting the egg in there.
good luck
sb

Re: Shark questions

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15414144#post15414144 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishykid9212
My friend has this ridiculously big tank that he's going to make a shark tank.

How big is ridiculously big cause if its not at least 6 ft long and 30 inches wide dont bother not trying to be an *** but so many of these guys end up in tiny tanks

I am building an 8ft long tank that is 30 inches wide and as much as i want a bamboo i still consider it to small not becuse of the gallonage but because the footprint doesnt work for a shark. Ideally these guys should go into ponds a 300 gallon stock pond can be had for cheap and would give a bamboo a great home

Ridiculously big = 55G sitting beside the tv in the living room. LOL not trying to poke fun.

How big is ridiculously big cause if its not at least 6 ft long and 30 inches wide dont bother not trying to be an *** but so many of these guys end up in tiny tanks

+1 on this. It makes me sad everything I go into the big box stores and see the big sign that says SHARK EGGS. I usually save the shark watching for when I visit the aquarium.

I think the biggest prob and I have done this myself is people buy fish with good intentions that they never follow thru on, yes a shark pup will be fine in a 55 for a little while u find that 300 that little lion will be great in a 30 gallon while I build a tank those sorts of comments usually end up in fish being returned to stores or worse yet discarded and ignored while they slowly die

but sadly most times it doesnt happen especially with the younger crowd having matured some both in responsibility and financially I am glad that I now know i can actually porovide a proper home for these guys and yet I still dont want to tempt it till everything is in place for them

You could grow it out in a 75 no problem.
I always wanted to make a 300 gallon Rubbermaid tub into a bamboo tank, but then I wouldn't come out of the basement.

Back