SHARK TANK help plz im new

Think ahead to this proposed upgrade. So many hobbyists purchase fish poorly suited to their tanks, but tell themselves (and others) that they'll soon be setting up a huge system to keep their fish in. All too often these plans fall through for any number of reasons; finances, space, problems with other people who don't share your enthusiasm for the hobby. You mention buying a bigger tank in 6 months? Is something preventing you from buying the big tank now, and will that be the same obstacle 6 months from now? If you can realisitcally afford and equip a 55 gallon tank, then stock it accordingly, and not with a fish that will outgrow the system in a very short time. You've been given good advice in this thread. Please take it to heart. You'll learn alot from experienced hobbyists who have made mistakes they want others to avoid.

ok im sorry all! i am impatient. i will not be putting a shark in a 55g but how does this sound. could i use the 55g for a starter? get some fish that go well with a shark in a 220. and see how things go? see if i really like this and see if i really wanna get a shark. would that be ok? if so i would need a list of some good fish that go well with a shark. thanks!

Ok, we are trying to help you, like you asked for. You've been asking for tips and advice and guess what? We're giving those things to you, you just won't listen. Take our advice, considering most of us have actually kept sharks, or hard to keep fish at that, and don't screw this thing up since you want to do this thing so badly. But before you start a shark tank, you NEED to respect and research the species you plan on getting before you jump to conclusions, that way you will be fairly prepared when you do buy it.

hey man slow down. start with a 220 maybe a grouper and an eel. (panther grouper snowflake eel) if you like it gat a coral cat shark in 6 months to a year. they should all be ok in the same tank, and you should be able to house them there for some time. these people are right on about the 55 gl. i also think start with something easy (grouper eel). it is expensive and hard to keep sharks. if done properly you will enjoy it very much.

no i havent kept saltwater tanks before. which is why i said i would prolly use my 55g to start out with some smaller fish for now and get the hang of it. i can not afford the 220 at this moment i just started my job and i only got paid for my first 2 days last week and will be getting paid again in 2 weeks. and in that time i am obviously learning alot and starting out with just the 55g and some small fish. so what would be good for my 55g? (something that may go good with the shark later? will the grouper and eel be ok in a 55g?)

the eel would be ok not the grouper. well depending on the size of the grouper, get him about 6 in and you should be good for awhile. when you do change to a bigger tank try like a naso tang for a little while before getting the shark.

why try the tang? and i also heard that the 220 wouldn't be big enough for a adult shark? from my local pet store. your thoughts?

Let me give you some newbie advice because hey, I'm a newbie with a new tank.

You're looking at spending hundreds of $$ on the initial set up of your 55g. You're looking at at least 30mins a night of regular maintenance and you're looking at devoting a lot of time to maintenance and water changes on your weekends. No football, no cruisin', you're inside, working on your tank.

You've also got to take into account the hundreds of $$ in supplies such as a quarantine tank, food, test kits (optional but you MUST test your water somewhere) and even stupid piddly stuff such as nets, magfloats, thermometers and buckets for water changes. This expense and time commitment is required before you even add your shark and knowing nothing about sharks, I could not begin to tell you how much MORE time and expense is required of a shark.

I'm not trying to deter you but you do seem impatient and I think you must understand that this hobby is nothing like you seem to think it is. Even after you add water, sand, salt and rock , you're facing 30-60 days of waiting for your water chemistry to even out before you can even add fish. You can't just chuck 30 fish in there 12 minutes after you dump in some sand.

You seriously seriously seriously ought to consider a regular reef set up with some small fish before you take on the responsibility in caring for a shark. The difference between a 55g and a 220g+ is vast - figure out how to care for your 55g before you commit yourself to an animal that requires something so far above your (and my) head.

thanks onte. i am going to do the 55g for now so how it goes. but im wondering which fish i could use in it? i think i would get the eel but what else?

Never listen to LFS about sharks, considering they only want to make money, unless they really know what they're talking about.

For a Coral Catshark, yes, but not for any other adult species that you can get regularly.

As for dangerous species, you can get Sand Tigers, Bulls, etc. But you have to have a permit to keep one, and a huge income.

for a 55 you could probably get a dwarf lionfish(personally I think that a fish only tank with live rock tank is a waste of a 55gallon but that is just me). please do your research on them on reefkeeping.com just search lionfish and you should be able to pull up the article. Two of the greatest banes with keeping fish are impatience and inexperience. Please research, start small and listen to peoples advice.

in my 55 I have 3 Bartlett's Anthias, 1 flame angel, 1 royal gramma, 1 A. Allardi clownfish, 1 copperband butterfly. with all of that I somehow am managing to keep coral.(I'm done with my fish selection)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12283406#post12283406 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TANK0789
haha wow no kidding? thats insane! bulls? throw them food and run!

do the coral cats still have teeth?

Yes, but their teeth are made for gripping and holding prey, not cutting.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12283418#post12283418 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TANK0789
how much is your 10x5x3 going to cost you?

Around 5K including equipment, and someone helping us build it. Not a bad price if you ask me.

Back