SHARK TANK help plz im new

ok i have just one last question and im sure im going to get yelled at but i feel it may be an ok question. is it ok to have a longer tank rather then wider? for ex. 130x24x24 rather then 96x36x25?

longer is better for more open water swimming fish like tangs. I like shorter tanks as well, your lighting will penetrate to the bottom (generally speaking)

the width is so the shark can turn around. It would be difficult for a 3' shark to turn around in a 2' wide tank. So although I have no experience with sharks, I would say that 96" x 30" is better, 130" x 30" would be even better.

wider is much for important ( depends on how long it is in the first place)...

If this is your first time in SW then it is prob just the best idea to get the tank and get some easy FOWLR fish...then once you get the feel for it get the shark...

The way I look at it is this, a good tank width for a shark should be about half the length of that particular tank. Therefore if you're doing a 10' 10" (130") tank, make your width about 4-5'. Also take into consideration the size of the shark. Picture a 3-4' shark trying to turn around in a 2'W tank.

JESUS, Just tell him to highjack his neighbors pool and throw a couple tons of salt in there and he has his aquarium.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12327558#post12327558 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 2dawghouse
JESUS, Just tell him to highjack his neighbors pool and throw a couple tons of salt in there and he has his aquarium.

Give the kid a break. I was asking the same things when I first got into the hobby. Now I realize that he's actually trying to learn, rather than trying to annoy the hell out of us and make us pull our hair out. :lol: So from now on, no more a**hole from me.

My appologies, I will try and help anyone who asks for help, simply for the sake of their livestock, their time and maintenace, their money, and their aggrevation. And I think that you and many others have pointed him in the right direction. That shows compassion for fellow SW keepers.

hey salt. im trying to find info on the sweel shark. i have read some but not enough. do you know anything about them? are they active swimmers?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12319428#post12319428 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TheSaltwaterGuy
Swell Sharks get to about 40" long and are a cold water shark, needing temperatures of about 60-65 degrees. For these sharks, I'd recommend a tank of at LEAST 8' x 4' x 2'. Preferably bigger, around 10' x 5' x 2-3'.

These are a fairly easy shark to keep under the right circumstances. If you provide its needs, the shark will be healthy.

I imagine they're about as active as a Coral Catshark. More active than a Bamboo, less active than a Horn, if not the same activity level as the Horn.

im going to watch it see if anyone bids. on it if not he maybe getting a message with a lower price request lol i live in wisconsin so its not too far away :) and my lil shark would be pretty happy in there when i would decide to get one

Yeah, you could keep a Brownbanded Bamboo in there for life. Get the tank if you get a chance, but just keep it shark free for about 6-12 months. Try to keep some fairly difficult fish species, if you can keep them alive for a long period of time, try a shark.

Back