SHARK TANK help plz im new

TANK0789

In Memoriam
i am new to all this and i just found out that you can have real sharks and not these freshwater ones petco sells. i live in wisconsin so its hard to find these things out. well to start i have a 55g tank i know i would have to get something bigger. but i just want a run down of what i need and how i should go about doing this? for example raise him in the 55g and purchase a 150 or somthing later ? please help i am so excited to start working on this. i have been reading all day! and i just cant wait so please any info will help! i dont know which shark i would get either thought about the black banded or the bamboo. thanks!

gallons aren't the big thing when it comes to sharks dimensions are better. big skimmer lots of turnover in filtering gph fine sand iodine. do alot of reading and keep asking for advice. when you're ready try a coral cat shark they only get about 2 ft. tank at least 2 ft x 6ft x18in tall. they are very nice to keep but must be done properly.

Your best bet would be to start off with a Coral Catshark, hardy and stay small (around 24" as adults). The bare minimum for these guys would be a standard 220g.

P.S. The Blackbanded bamboo is the same as bamboo and brownbanded bamboo, as in my avatar. These guys require at least a 420-480 as adults.

thank you for the info. where would i be able to buy a coral? not going to yet lol just curious of price and what not. thanks

thanks all. again if you have any other advice just keep loading it in here! i will be on for about another hour so please just and ideas or thoughts plz leave them!

im not seeing any on there? i looked them up and wow those are pretty too!

also what about other fish in there? are there any that get along with a coral carshark?

Last edited:
anyone have some idea on where to get some deals on aquariums? thanks

your also saying a 220g for both kinds so why did you recomend the coral?

You would want to start with a 220 & be ready to upgrade within 18 months of buying a shark.If your going to do a shark tank you better be prepaired for these guys .
Do you have any experince in salt water ?not trying to bash you but you might want to keep the shark keeping to the experts until you get your feet wet LOL.
Start with a fish only system first & move up from there.Keeping a shark or a ray is like having a reef tank .We will all be glad to help but start slow & work your way up.
I have a full blown dominated sps reef tank & my shark tank is more up keep.

No, Brownbanded Bamboo's recommend around 420-480g as adults, considering they reach 36" at maturity.

I highly recommend joining www.sharkraycentral.com I'm a member there (sharkman1), and this is where I learned all my knowledge about sharks and rays, along with Scott W. Michael's "Aquarium Sharks & Rays."

There, they talk about saltwater sharks and rays and will be happy to answer all of your questions about them.

they can say what they want. what i was hoping to do is. use my 55g get some fish that would go good with the shark. and just have them fish for a bit. and see if i like it. and then from there get a shark then get a bigger tank like a half year later. how does that sound? please give me a chance on this. and if you have any advice please let me know!!

We are willing to give you a chance ,but you wanted our help & don't want to listen to us.A 55 gal will not be good for a shark ,you can get a shark egg & try that in the 55gal for like 3 to 6 months.You will half to keep him by himself with some rock for a cave for shelter & resting.You are also going to need a very good skimmer for a shark with alot of filtration & possibly a refugium.Sharks produce alot of ammonia & you need to get get rid of it asap.We are here to help not too bash you,We are just saying it would be easier on you & the shark to start bigger in the beginning.

well your not getting what im saying. i wanna start him in the 55g. and once he starts growing move him to a 220

Ok fine start in the 55 & move up like i said in my post he will grow very quickly in there so when you have the 55 set up order the 220 & start setting that up soon afterwards.Just keep him by himself in such a small space. Good Luck

Why do you insist on starting with a 55G? Please do not take this the wrong way but you sound very impatient. Someone asked you if you have ever kept saltwater aquariums before but Im not sure you answered that...this is a very important question because a shark is not a beginner fish. They are sensitive to nitrates, not just ammonia. They are tough fish to treat when sick, they get relatively big, ect.

I think if you want a shark, you should do your research and get one for sure...when your ready. If you have never kept saltwater fish before, you need to start with other, hardy fish first. And please do not put a shark in a 55G, even from an egg. Its just so hard to keep water quality up in such a small tank. They feel cramped, even if small and who knows, something may come up and you may not be able to spend that $2000 on setting up a proper 220+ size tank for him. Its pretty expensive to set up and keep a big tank, so make sure your ready for it. Sharks should really go into a well established tank in my opinion, so it should be set up well before you buy one. Please think if the shark, not just yourself :)

Have fun learning and have fun setting up the tank, knowing you will one day have a shark!

Back