Sharks and Large Angels?

TheSaltwaterGuy

I LiveAquaria.com's compatibility chart and it said that sharks and rays can be kept with large angels such as the Imperator. Is this true? Do you think it could work?

Thanks.

i think rays should be fine unless you have an agressive angel rays arent usualy agressive towards other fish very calm, sharks on the other hand i dont suggest it. It could work and you could try but i think your angel might come to a quick end.

The Angel might come to an early end? I thought it was the other way around since some Angels are prone to nip at elasmobraches.

in your 75? why not just get all of the above? I would think you could add a few lionfish and half a dozen tangs as well.

No large angels. All it takes is one nip for a shark to lose an eye or get an infection and die. There are plenty of other great fish in the ocean and i would try one of them before risking your sharks life. I keep my shark with tangs, Wrasses, and clowns. Elasmo's are not like black tips they are not that aggressive. But like any carnivorous fish if there is something that can fit in its mouth well then you run the risk of it getting eaten but i think Cat sharks are a community type shark and should be kept with community type fish till its bigger.

As for the Harlequin Tusk. It wouldn't be my first wrasse that i would choose. I hear they can be a little agressive, but somebody on here may be able to help you out.

What about a Banana Wrasse? I hear they get pretty aggressive though. I have done quite a bit of research on sharks so I do know a little bit of what you guys are talking about. I have purchased Scott Micheal's Aquarium Sharks and Rays and find it to be tremendously helpful!

Books can only teach you so much. Experience will teach you the rest.

I am only axing the harlequin because it has a beak lke mouth. The banana wrasse should be fine. I keep a coris wrasse and a cosmetis wrasse with my shark and both leave him alone but on the nights when he's hungry i often will find him hunting for the wrasses as they sleep under the sand. But they are both too big for him to eat.

Also i just wanted to add that a lot of people suggest keeping sharks with groupers but in certain cases its not a good idea. For example if you have an 11" grouper in a predator tank with other large predator fish and you throw in a 6" baby shark the grouper will more than likely eat it on sight. Also i have had a few people say to add teh grouper and the shark at the same time but groupers tend to grow a little faster than sharks do so a grouper of 4 inches could very easily reach 8 inches in just a little over a year. Just something to consider if you were to keep your shark with a grouper.

My best suggestion for keeping a shark and a grouper together is to add the grouper when the shark is at least a foot or bigger and the grouper is anywhere from a quarter to half of the shark's length.

Just my two cents

I wasn't planning on getting a grouper at all. I knew that they were a high risk being in the same tank as sharks.

You must know quite a bit about elasmobranchs. If you don't mind, I would like to keep in touch so when I get the tank I can ask you for advice.

Another person asked me for pics as well let me break out my camera and i will post them up here.

PM me if you have any questions. I'm not a pro but i have some experience.

I keep a powdered tang wih my pj shark no probs yet. A large angel, though, I would pick who you would rather see everyday and pick that fish, angel or shark.

I have a large (about nine inch) Emperor angel in with my sharks. So far there have been no problems whatsover. The sharks are about two feet long. I have some pictures posted in the other fish breeding section at www.rarecolwnfish.com (Thread titled Heterodontus) One other thing to note, since my sharks (zebra horn and Japanese horn sharks) are cool water fish I kept the temp at 69 degrees this Winter. Emperor Angel, chromis, fiji damsels, and a handful of my baby clarkii clowns all did superb at 69 degrees. The emp still ate like a pig, eating everything as usual, squid, mysis, flake etc. I am now in the process of warming the water up to what will be the Summer temp of 75 degrees. I will admit though it took me over a year before I added anything to the system other than the sharks because I didn't want anything to happen to my little babies.

Horns are really cool looking sharks. I just get a little scared with sharks and angels only because i've seen what they can do to a shark in just one nip.

Bignick, you are absolutely right. It only takes one nip and a mild mannered shark could be scarred for life. That's why I thought long and hard before I even added damsels to my system. I didn't want a five dollar fish injuring a five thousand dollar fish. But after a couple of years I wanted more color and movement, and broke down and started adding some fish (after long and careful Qt) I must say though, the emp adds a lot. The big guy is not shy, and swims right up on his side and looks anybody that comes near the lagoon in the eyes, begging for food. I'd bet the thing would look like a football if I wasn't careful how much I feed him. He'll rip the tentacles off the heads of the squid that I feed the sharks, theres no doubt he could cause damage to a sharks eye. I guess what it boils down to is that it is a personal decision how much risk you are willing to take. With my system I was willing to take the risk primarily because I have a lot of room for the fish (200 sq. ft.) I would not have put the fish together in a little 180 or 220. My next decision is, do I put a second and or third emperor in there as well, or would that be pushing it. I would love to have a mated pair of emperor angels, but most pet shops don't or won't ever get a pair.

Back