Sheet sander for buffing out scratches in acrylic tank?

cvrle1

I picked up a 5 foot acrylic tank about a month or so ago. I did leak test and cleaned it all up (it was quite nasty, full of baked on algae and so on) Now that I can see what I am actually working with, I decided that i would like to buff the whole tank out before I start setting it up. Rear of the tank is hazy, so it looks like someone took low grit sandpaper to it, and it is now all scratched up. When it was filled with water, scratches werent visible, but since I have empty tank I figured I would buff the whole thing out.

This leads me to my question. I have a run of the mill 1/4 sheet sander that I was thinking about using for this. I am not however sure if that is the best idea, as it could leave swirl marks and so on. I read that using random orbital sander is perfect for job like this, but wanted to see if same results could be had with sheet sander as well.

cPNUppa.jpg

8x4rKIk.jpg

Front and sides are in much better shape. There are some surface scratches, but nothing like rear seen above.

Any help, tips, pointers, etc would be much welcome, as I never did something like this with acrylic before
Thanks

Back