Shipping cost for frags

ReefsandGeeks

I'm not sure if this would be the right forum to post this in, so please move if needed.

I have been reef keeping for about 5 years now, and have gotten to the point that I am starting to frag my coral colonies. Most places I look, either reef central or ebay, hobbiests seem to charge $45 for shipment of coral frags. All shipping I find is overnight shipping.

When I try plugging in the cost to ship a 6"X6"X6" box of 2 pounds (assuming 5-6 coral frags + insulation) I am getting Costs of around $85. I get the same price for Fedex overnight at $85.

Am I overestimating a normal shipping box? Is there something I'm missing for getting shipping down to around $45-50?

how much water do you normally have in each bag with a frag? I filled up a ziploc bag with how much looked good, and weighed in at 5 ounces. Maybe I can use less?

People use bulk aquatic shipping groups online. You pay the group, plus a small fee, they email you the label at a reduced rate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Awesome! sounds easy enough. Are there any preferred groups to use? Only thing I could find googling was Ship Your Aquatics. Not sure if there are others

Back