Shipping Euphyllia species.

CAreefer

Premium Member
I need to frag off some of my Euphyllias. I have E. Divisia, E. Anchora, and E. Glabrascens. I have shipped SPS on many occasions with great success. How do they fair shipping? I have concerns over the amount of sliming etc. into the shipping bags. Any one have any experience shipping these?

TIA
CAReefer

I personally never shipped them, but have recieved them. They were shipped like sps, piece of stryo rubber banded to the base and floated upside down. All were recieved in great condition. and i believe that was priority also.

I haven't shipped them but I have carried them myself during a 40 hours trip from Taiwan to Boston. I used the exact methos described above. Rubber banded upside down to a floating peice of styrofoam. Important details would be to make sure the bag is deep enough and that the styrofoam is larger in dimensions than the coral is. This way the coral will not rub against the sides.

Rubberband the stalk to a styro-peanut... Shipped a couple of them that way, all OK. Putting a plastic bag inside the real bag, to act as a liner/barrier between the septae and the carrying bag, will also help. Triple bag that puppy, too.. septae can be razor sharp.

- Mac

Thanks for the info guys. I think that the small square of styro with the stalk banded to it is the way to go. Will certainly triple bag.

Thanks again
CAReefer

If using a short/squat bag vs. a tall/narrow one, you can punch the stalk through a flat, thin piece, and tie a rubberband around the back-end to hold it 'in' the styro (like a washer/bolt on a nut). Rough handling could be a concern, but depending on the size/shape of the piece you are shipping, might work out better. You can use a larger/more buoyant piece of styro (better for larger frags). When I shipped a smaller one w/ a longer stalk (you know the little guy's that creep out around the edges of the colony), I used a peanut tied a little below the line of tissue, and it floated the piece in a tall skinny bag really well.

- Mac

Back