Shipping fish overnight but without pure oxygen?

KindCorals

A last minute change of plans has determined that I cannot bring my fish on the plane with me so I'm left with the option of shipping my 2 clowns. How likely to survive if I do not use pure oxygen to fill the bag? They have not ate for nearly 2 days, will have about 1/3 water to 2/3 air in the bag, will be in an insulated box shipped overnight and I may add a heat pack if it's going to be cold overnight. Thanks for the help guys.

Can you at least separate them in individual bags to increase their chances?
would still be best to add oxygen rich or pure oxygen in the bag as it'll minimize the PH drop as well.

A last minute change of plans has determined that I cannot bring my fish on the plane with me so I'm left with the option of shipping my 2 clowns. How likely to survive if I do not use pure oxygen to fill the bag? They have not ate for nearly 2 days, will have about 1/3 water to 2/3 air in the bag, will be in an insulated box shipped overnight and I may add a heat pack if it's going to be cold overnight. Thanks for the help guys.

Not sure of the situation, but if there is a LFS around you might want to call and explain your situation. Most decent folks will gladly help you package them well enough to survive the trip.

I can put them in separate bags but don't have access to a decent LFS or pure oxygen. My flight leaves in about 12 hours so I have time to sleep, pack them up for shipping and send them off or just dump them off to a friend. I'd much rather ship them to my new place but not of they are going to run out of oxygen.

Why not dump off to your friend and have them probably package them and ship it to you.

ive never had any luck with fish that were shipped. Online orders, even coral it all dies. So i hope it works out for u. i would hate to lose my clowns they were used to cycle my tank. been around the longest.

I didn't ship mine, but I have done two moves where the fish and coral were bagged for 24hrs plus. The first was with o2 and they were bagged for around 26hrs. The next time they were bagged for around 30hrs with just ambient air. I did use breather bags, but they were packed in tight so I doubt their necessity. I didn't have a single loss and nothing looked more strewed than when it came home from the store. I would bag individually though.

I shipped two fish from Maryland to CA 2 years ago and didnt use pure oxygen. Just make sure you secure the bag tight so no air can leak out. The swishing from movement will exchange the air. I would say dont feed them 24 hours before but you seem to not have time. You are risking them polluting the water and the ammonia levels will sky rocket in the bag.

Back