Should I add a Protein Skimmer?

Reeferman1019

Currently I have a basic 10 gallon tank with a HOB Aqua Clear 50 Filter. Inside that filter I run just rubble rock, small bag of GFO, small bag of Carbon which are both changed out every month. I do weekly water changes taking out 1 gallon per week. The tank is doing good I keep mostly softies, Zoas and LPS. I wanted to add a protein skimmer for added filtration. Should I add one what are the pros and cons. I just don't want too much stuff hanging off the back of the tank or nothing too big. Maybe it can hang off the Aqua Clear Filter? What else do you all recommend to improve my tank. I also dose .5 ml of Aqua vitro fuel once a day the corals like it. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, I wouldnt...

A 10 gallon tank isnt going to have maybe 6 gallons of water. Weekly water changes will be easy, and the most effective way to maintain your tank.

Not to mention there is alot of dispute on the effectiveness of nano skimmers. I wouldnt waste my money on one for a 10g

Honestly, I wouldnt...

A 10 gallon tank isnt going to have maybe 6 gallons of water. Weekly water changes will be easy, and the most effective way to maintain your tank.

Not to mention there is alot of dispute on the effectiveness of nano skimmers. I wouldnt waste my money on one for a 10g

How do you take care of your nano tanks?

Well I have a media basket in the rear chamber of my biocube. I run charcoal, purigen, and filter floss

I have matching coral life skimmer. It doesn't do much nd I wish I hadn't bought it.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

How do you take care of your 20g? What do you do as for as maintenance, dose anything, run any Carbon or GFO etc?

I just do water changes. No dosing of any kind and no gfo/gac. No filters. Just a couple pumps and a heater during the winter are in the tank and some lights on top.

I change about 4 gallons every 1-2 weeks.

I just have soft corals though. No hard.

I have a 8 Gal and I don't use a skimmer either. I use to use a airstone skimmer i made but I think it mainly oxygenated the water more than skim. I just do a 50% water change every 2 weeks know. And i have a in line refugium.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well I have a media basket in the rear chamber of my biocube. I run charcoal, purigen, and filter floss

I have matching coral life skimmer. It doesn't do much nd I wish I hadn't bought it.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

ok thanks I was using purigen but I switched over to Carbon and GFO and replace every 3-4 weeks.

I just do water changes. No dosing of any kind and no gfo/gac. No filters. Just a couple pumps and a heater during the winter are in the tank and some lights on top.

I change about 4 gallons every 1-2 weeks.

I just have soft corals though. No hard.

You keep it very simple I like that. I will focus more on water changes and you recommend sticking with Carbon and GFO and replacing every 3-4 weeks?

I have a 8 Gal and I don't use a skimmer either. I use to use a airstone skimmer i made but I think it mainly oxygenated the water more than skim. I just do a 50% water change every 2 weeks know. And i have a in line refugium.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

can you please explain your in line refugium? I run a Aqua Clear 50 with ONLY rubble rock inside and some Carbon and GFO.

Back