should I be worried about stress cracks?

Meshmez

Not sure if this is the right place for this post, please move if it isnt.

I just picked up a used 54 (50?)gallon truvu corner tank. Unfortunately I didn't notice it had some stress cracks in the bottom corner. It holds water, but I dont have much experience with acrylic so im not sure if this is just a cosmetic issue, or if it is a leak waiting to happen. Should/can anything be done to fix this? Please ignore the scratches, I need to clean/polish it.

Attachments

• 2011-09-28_07-40-26_538.jpg
    2011-09-28_07-40-26_538.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 0
I wouldn't trust it, but that just my opinion. I wouldn't want to come home to 50 gallons of water on my floor. A sealant called "Weld On #3" should be able to patch them up with out much problems.

I don't know much about acrylic, but any "cracks" would scare me. 54g probably won't put a ton of pressure on them, but.....

I wouldn't trust it, but that just my opinion. I wouldn't want to come home to 50 gallons of water on my floor. A sealant called "Weld On #3" should be able to patch them up with out much problems.

Will this "fill" the cracks and be invisible (relatively) or will it be an obvious patch?

I feel the same way about not trusting any cracks, but this seems fixable.

it depends on how careful you are. You smear it on with a paint brush it will look like crap, but you take your time and apply it carefully it should be ok.

Do a search for Crazing or there is a thread in the DIY forum titled " Need help with acrylic I can help" those would be the first two things I would do. I had a 120 that had the same crazing like what is in your pics and everything was fine with it. Acrylic tanks will do this over time but there is a threshold that if it passes it could cause a tank failure.

From my experience (we purchased a used 100g acrylic tank ignoring the signs of obvious water damage to the front of the stand, and after 3 days of use the bottom seam of the tank leaked all 100g in a matter of about 6 min, obviously it had been repaired but not well enough and we definately learned from this!especially after cleaning the floor from all that saltwater from the LR, Kit, bathroom and hallway) :bounce2:
I would not use the tank until you are sure it does not leak.
My opinion only ;)

From my experience (we purchased a used 100g acrylic tank ignoring the signs of obvious water damage to the front of the stand, and after 3 days of use the bottom seam of the tank leaked all 100g in a matter of about 6 min, obviously it had been repaired but not well enough and we definately learned from this!especially after cleaning the floor from all that saltwater from the LR, Kit, bathroom and hallway) :bounce2:
I would not use the tank until you are sure it does not leak.
My opinion only ;)

I'd second this, my option was only a quick fix, but in the long run its your home that will be flooded if it doesn't work out right. Kuden has a excellent point too, see what you can find out there doing simple Google searches

I agree with everyone about getting it fixed before using it. I was just praying I didnt waste money on a busted tank. I'll look into it more and search for those threads. Thanks!

Looks like crazing to me, not cracks. Crazing can happen from something as simple as spraying glass cleaner around it.

Back