should I be worried? I might have messed up...

sk8rreefgeek

Yesterday I did an iodine dip on a 8" rock covered in zoos. The bottle said 40 drops in one gallon of water for 10-15 minutes.
I only used 20 drops in about 1.5 gallons.
After 10 minutes, I shook it around a bit in the iodine water, picked it up, let it drip off, and put it back in my tank...
I forgot to rinse it and I'm afraid I have too much iodine in my tank now.

Anyone know if I should be worried?
thanks

It's hard to determine how much iodine actually got into the tank. Even if there is an excess amount of iodine, I'm not sure there is much you can do about it. Water changes could dilute it down further and maybe provide you peace-of-mind.

Has anything happened in the tank that leads you to believe there is an iodine problem?

No, not yet. I'm just worried because I know that iodine is very strong.
I just did a 6 gallon water change right before that. I guess I'll do another one.
I guess I'm hoping to hear that someone else has done this without any problems.

They do make test kits for iodine. If you are really concerned you can always test for it. I agree with the posts above. Water changes will help dilute. Theoretically the residual iodine on the livestock was diluted by the total number of gallons in your system. That ratio should be much less than the ratio in the solution you used for treatment.

I think you will be alright. I did this about 3 years ago and was worried about it much like yourself. Turns out everything was just fine! You will probably notice your zoas, mushrooms, and leathers growing a bit more than usual though :)

Garrett

Back