Should i change my water even though i have diatoms???

XtremeFromHell

well ive been having a diatom problem for about 3-4 weeks already.. it sorta looks like its going away but the water is looking really cloudy.. the tank has been running for 2 months and it is a 29 gallon.. im itching to change the water but not sure if i should.. and also.. my entire back glass of the tank is full of diatoms.. should i scrape it before i change the water? or should i just leave it.. any help please!... just did a water test and every thing is at 0 and my ph is at 8.0 - 8.3

thats what i want to do... these diatoms are really bothering me cause the tank looks nasty, i was thinking of doing 3 day lights out but i have a mushroom and not sure how that would affect it

I'm doing the same myself. Diatoms have been on my sand since I started the tank and it's driving me nuts. If they were goe my tank would be flawless!

I'm siphoning my sand bed and taking off the top layer as it shows back up.

Also bought my own rodi unit to make sure I knew what water I was putting in my tank.

It's tough to get rid of those things. After several sand vacuums and water changes it is just now starting to show improvement.

hmm.. im gonna go ahead and siphon as much as i can up and scrape the back glass and go ahead and change some water, i really cant wait till it all goes away.. i almost forgot how purple my rocks used to look lol

Water change

Water change

I know it is really tempting to do a water change to fix the problem, but just be patient a little longer and I think the tide will turn for you. I know it drove me crazy when my tank was first cycling.

im just getting concered with it because the tank looks nasty and for some reason my shroom did not open up as it usually does.. and my condy nem has been hiding all day.. but im sure its because she was digesting cause i fed her yesterday

i will most likely do that tomorrow as well as scrape the rear glass...and i havnt changed my water in at least 3 or 4 weeks since the diatoms have appeared

First off, diatoms are not a "problem" but a natural occurance in a new system, it is just one of the MNAY stages you will go through in the upcoming year.

Do a water change, and do them as frequently as you like now. I personally do weekly 15% water changes. Granted that may be excessive, but its what makes me feel comfortable. Do weekly, biweekly, or monthly.

Feel free and comfortable doing a water change now. You are on the right track, suck and blow as much as you can while doing the water change.

HTH

Good luck

when i was cycling i would do 10% every week, then i continued 10% every two weeks.. , but i havnt done it since the diatom outbreak, but will surely begin again, thanks for all the support guys

Hope you get this in time.....

when you scrape turn off all powerheads and scrape BOTTOM TO UP. This will keep a bunch of the junk on the scraper for your to wipe off and get it out of the tank.

Secondly, remember that like any algae diatoms need
nutrients to survive. Using your lights less and always using zero tds rodi water will assist in starving it into oblivion while you siphon it out as well

I'm doing all of the above and it's slowly turning my direction.

I'm thinking my PC bulbs might need replaced too causing some of it so I even am putting in T5s tomorrow (got a new in box 36 inch wavepoint from my trusty lfs owner from his buyer for $180 including bulbs).

put sum power heads going across the bottom of the tank in the front where ur sand is ...just above it enough not to blow ur sand all over this took care of my diatom issue

Yeah there isn't any reason why you shouldn't do a water change and everyone's already said go for it. I agree. WC regularly balances the system whether it's cycling or not.

thanks guys... i will be starting to do my water change and clean up all the algae in the tank .. i'll post before and after pics when im done.. but i have to wait till the lights come on

Back