Should I get the vortech mp10?

FraggledRock

Hey guys, I have a 40 B with just a few LPs, zoas and one small acans frag.

I have 2 hydor powerheads opposite sides.

I recently sold an old gadget on ebay so i have about 400$ to spend on new toys.

I was thinking of getting the apex JR & a Vortech mp10.

is the mp10 really that worthwhile?

The main "selling" point to me is the low profile in the tank and the controllable patterns. (im guessing the only selling points really LOL)

would one MP10 on one side be sufficient in getting flow to keep SPS in a 40b with two other hydors??

I haven't had luck with sps and am thinking my flow is lacking for keeping corals.

even my zoas haven't been doing well and water params are great.

latest test results

temp 77F
ph 8.1
ammonia 0.15
nitrite 0.0
nitrate 0.25
alkalinity 12 dkh (reef crystals salt)
phosphates 0.1
calcium 500
magnesium 1300

so would the vortech on one side give me better flow on lagoon mode?

Well, $400 won't quite buy you a Vortech and an Apex Jr., though it'll be close.

With respect to flow in your tank, your current corals don't need much (and won't appreciate really strong flow). And for SPS in a 3 foot long tank, you could easily do it with 2 Hydor 600 gph pumps working alternately on a timer (such as the SmartWave controller).

Ideally, you'd like to move your low-flow LPS & soft corals to another tank, and set your 40g up with 2 wireless vortechs working in sync/anti-sync mode, and presuming sufficient high-intensity lighting, populate it with SPS corals.

An alternative would be to purchase the Apex (I would recommend the Apex, not the Apex Jr. - you'll eventually have a bigger tank and will want the increased functionality), and use it to control your two Hydors in sync/anti-sync modes.

By the way - your parameters look fine, though most people keep SPS corals at about 8-9 dKH alkalinity. 12 dKH is OK, I know a couple of very successful SPS keepers that have systems that maintain 14 dKH with a calcium reactor. But the key is stability - rapid swings in alkalinity will doom SPS corals.

Well, $400 won't quite buy you a Vortech and an Apex Jr., though it'll be close.

With respect to flow in your tank, your current corals don't need much (and won't appreciate really strong flow). And for SPS in a 3 foot long tank, you could easily do it with 2 Hydor 600 gph pumps working alternately on a timer (such as the SmartWave controller).

Ideally, you'd like to move your low-flow LPS & soft corals to another tank, and set your 40g up with 2 wireless vortechs working in sync/anti-sync mode, and presuming sufficient high-intensity lighting, populate it with SPS corals.

An alternative would be to purchase the Apex (I would recommend the Apex, not the Apex Jr. - you'll eventually have a bigger tank and will want the increased functionality), and use it to control your two Hydors in sync/anti-sync modes.

By the way - your parameters look fine, though most people keep SPS corals at about 8-9 dKH alkalinity. 12 dKH is OK, I know a couple of very successful SPS keepers that have systems that maintain 14 dKH with a calcium reactor. But the key is stability - rapid swings in alkalinity will doom SPS corals.

yea i was going to have to add some extra cash but it definitely gets me close to getting them both. i think the vortech is $199 on amazon and the JR is $225 from neptune systems?

I currently have the 500 gph on all the time and the 300 gph on a timer on off every 30 seconds. hmm i guess its difficult to find the right balance in a small tank for mixed?

eek there is no way i can setup another tank so I would have to find what I am limited to now before i have an unbalanced system too low flow for sps and too high for lps.

I have an led unit with 6500K whites and the royal blue 425nm moon lights and a dual t5 with 1 Actinic and 1 10K bulb.

I have been struggling with the alk and found out its the reef crystals salt starting at a base of 12/13 dkh =/ i was thinking going back to regular IO and dosing when i need to. my tank was much healthier that way and and my corals weren't looking as weak and or dying.

thanks!

I love my MP10s on my 40b. So much better than my large Koralias. I bought mine used here in the marketplace, try a used pair maybe and have $$ leftover!

Actually - don't (buy a used one). I didn't realize this with my earlier post, but Ecotech is encouraging their dealers to get rid of the remaining MP10w ES that they have in stock in favor of the new QuietDrive pump controller/motor. So you can get an MPw10 ES for $213 from Bulk Reef Supply today (and probably other dealers as well) instead of the $285 "normal" price.

2 of these would be ideal for your tank, facing each other on the opposite side walls. The minimum flow from an MP10w ES is 200 gpH, and the max is 1500 gpH. The minimum is easily low enough not to annoy your LPS corals, and the max is enough to created a typhoon in your tank, so you're covered over the entire range.

While the new pumps will be quieter, most folks, including me, don't even notice the very slight whirring of an MP10 unless we're running them at full power or placing our ear right up to the dry side.

I have a 40g (30"X12"X25" tall) and it is a mixed tank about half SPS/half zoas softies (1 Hammer coral). I have a single 800gph powerhead and all of my coral have been happy with it, as well as return flow from my canister probably about 150-200gph on the other end of the tank. I can't say it was easy getting the powerhead pointed just right to make a whole tank happy, but once I found where it worked well, everything has been growing well. This isn't to say more turbulance wouldn't be better, I'm jsut trying to give you an idea of what level of flow has worked for my mixed reef of very similar size. I've had SPS since I started coral, and all coral has done well for 6ish months. Don't remember exactly when I added coral.

A side note, I see you registered .15 ammonia. I see a red flag any time I see ammonia, but that's a low number so could be a measurment error or something. I have no idea what levels of ammonia would be harmful, but I do know it is much more toxic than nitrate or nitrite.

I have a 40g (30"X12"X25" tall) and it is a mixed tank about half SPS/half zoas softies (1 Hammer coral). I have a single 800gph powerhead and all of my coral have been happy with it, as well as return flow from my canister probably about 150-200gph on the other end of the tank. I can't say it was easy getting the powerhead pointed just right to make a whole tank happy, but once I found where it worked well, everything has been growing well. This isn't to say more turbulance wouldn't be better, I'm jsut trying to give you an idea of what level of flow has worked for my mixed reef of very similar size. I've had SPS since I started coral, and all coral has done well for 6ish months. Don't remember exactly when I added coral.

A side note, I see you registered .15 ammonia. I see a red flag any time I see ammonia, but that's a low number so could be a measurment error or something. I have no idea what levels of ammonia would be harmful, but I do know it is much more toxic than nitrate or nitrite.

ye its the API test kit i still have to upgrade that, so its probably a bad test reading.

i will try with one mp10 and keep what i have already and just position them right.

Actually - don't (buy a used one). I didn't realize this with my earlier post, but Ecotech is encouraging their dealers to get rid of the remaining MP10w ES that they have in stock in favor of the new QuietDrive pump controller/motor. So you can get an MPw10 ES for $213 from Bulk Reef Supply today (and probably other dealers as well) instead of the $285 "normal" price.

2 of these would be ideal for your tank, facing each other on the opposite side walls. The minimum flow from an MP10w ES is 200 gpH, and the max is 1500 gpH. The minimum is easily low enough not to annoy your LPS corals, and the max is enough to created a typhoon in your tank, so you're covered over the entire range.

While the new pumps will be quieter, most folks, including me, don't even notice the very slight whirring of an MP10 unless we're running them at full power or placing our ear right up to the dry side.

WOW! Nice thanks!

I will try to get that going asap!

=D

Not to throw a wrinkle into this but I bought the Jabeo RW4 for my biocube and have the apex-jabeo adapter sitting in my amazon basket for my next order so I can control it like a vortech. Combined the head and adapter costs around $70.

Though the entire unit is in the water eating more space then a MP10...

Not to throw a wrinkle into this but I bought the Jabeo RW4 for my biocube and have the apex-jabeo adapter sitting in my amazon basket for my next order so I can control it like a vortech. Combined the head and adapter costs around $70.

Though the entire unit is in the water eating more space then a MP10...

I was about ready to pull the trigger on teh jebaos, but the amount of sopace my hydors use and the jebaos would, its like i am in a nano cube with my 40G.

they cause shadows in my DT and that bothers me much.

so i think i will pull the trigger on the MP10w like mentioned .

yes its basically two months insurance payments worth on my POS car, but hey I will be able to see my tanks back wall again!

I was about ready to pull the trigger on teh jebaos, but the amount of sopace my hydors use and the jebaos would, its like i am in a nano cube with my 40G.

they cause shadows in my DT and that bothers me much.

so i think i will pull the trigger on the MP10w like mentioned .

yes its basically two months insurance payments worth on my POS car, but hey I will be able to see my tanks back wall again!

I woudl replace the hydors with the jabeos personally.

That said you can not go wrong with the MP10. They have proven themselves over and over again.

Ouch on the insurance. I am around 450 for 6 months on 2 new higher end cars...

I woudl replace the hydors with the jabeos personally.

That said you can not go wrong with the MP10. They have proven themselves over and over again.

Ouch on the insurance. I am around 450 for 6 months on 2 new higher end cars...

yea i figured I would just get the mp10 and call it a day lol

yea I guess since its a MUSTANG (1987) they still consider a sports car LOL yea the newer cars get reduced insurance with all the "safety" modifications.

daytime running lights. airbags on every square inch, etc.

I would buy 2 MP10wES for your tank. Particularly because they're very rarely on-sale, and you want two on opposite sides of your tank. But if you do decide on buying one, I'd buy the wireless-equipped version. You will eventually want 2 (and want them to work as a synced pair), and if you ever decide to sell the pump for whatever reason, the resale value is a good bit higher for a wireless model.

I would buy 2 MP10wES for your tank. Particularly because they're very rarely on-sale, and you want two on opposite sides of your tank. But if you do decide on buying one, I'd buy the wireless-equipped version. You will eventually want 2 (and want them to work as a synced pair), and if you ever decide to sell the pump for whatever reason, the resale value is a good bit higher for a wireless model.

Thanks! dually noted!

That makes absolute sense.

thats a good idea!

but do people really part with these? =P

can u link me to the market place?

Here's the link: http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Yes, they can be found in the marketplace :) I didn't have the loot to buy 2 brand new ones (champagne taste on a beer budget) but my 2 used ones were $300 total and I've never had an issue with them. I can't even hear them at 50% on random mode. The low profile can't be beat, but that's just me.

Back