should i go to the doctor?

cheezischrist

i did a massive water change late last night, like 14 gallons out of the total 33 in the system. all of my corals kind of freaked and slimed up. in the process of this i moved alot around and stired my sand bad vigorously. was also not wearing gloves. i have acros, montipora, xenia, tons of zoas and pallys, yellow pollyps, green cloves, mushrooms, hairy mushrooms, frogspawn, anthelia, colt corals and candycanes, tons of assorted snails and hermits, serpent stars, coral banded shrimp, sally lightfoot, and a few fish. a clown, green chromis, sixline wrasse, and bluespot goby. didnt think and didnt put on gloves before getting in the mix of the tank. about a half hour later started getting an awful headache behind my eyes and like asthmatic type breathing, wich i just blamed on allergies from our weather changes here in jersey and tried to go to sleep. well now ive been up all night on the toilet so to speak, and still ave the headache. chills i was getting ave ceased for now, and my breathing is getting better, but the other thing hasnt. i do have a few decent cuts on my hands from work. did i just get a flu or cold, or could something in my tank have caused this? im more worried about my niece who likes to "pet and hand feed nemo" and my girlfriend whos obsessed with servicing my tank than me, because i seem to be recovering

If its just a cold, they'll probably dish you out some antibiotics... as long as you have insurance to cover it, I don't see the downside.

Didn't even read your post.. Don't know what ails you but..If you are questioning it, then the answer is YES. Go now! Why risk your health? Get a professional opinion, not ours.

Yeah, cuts on the hand could be something related to messing with the tank. I would go get checked out by the Dr.

On another note, I would not let anyone put there hands in the tank from now on, even to feed or pet Nemo (Especially kids).

Geez, man. Just go, and go now. What's the worst thing that can happen? You're out a few bucks from the co-pay, or they give you funny looks for something that's really nothing? That's not the worst thing. Worst thing is that you miss the golden window where something can still be done to avert a disaster.

Ok everybody calm down. I am a doctor. What seems to be the problem?

You stuck your hands in your saltwater tank with zoas that have very dangerous toxins!?!?

Ok look, we'll go ahead a do a breathing treatment, Chest X-Ray, CT, MRI, etc.

You will need some antibiotics, antidepressants, and muscle relaxers.

Ok...well we just got all your test results back! Looks like you have a mild case of walking Pneumonia.

That will be $15,000. Have a great day! Remember...wear gloves next time.

Look bro, I work in a hospital. Although this was a humorous reply, they really order a crap load of test to run your bill up. Things that are not needed. I would go to the doctor, but not the ER.

Good luck!

Look bro, I work in a hospital. Although this was a humorous reply, they really order a crap load of test to run your bill up. Things that are not needed. I would go to the doctor, but not the ER.

Good luck!

I, too, work in a hospital. Oh, they need those tests, but not for the patient. They need those tests to protect themselves from those jackals known as lawyers standing outside the ER doors. Just in case he is the one in a million patient with the weird and unusual case. Like someone who stuck his hands into a toxic reef tank :D.

BTW, how are you doing, cheezischrist??

I had exactly the same when I transferred from my 4 foot to a 9 foot . Left some rock with palys and zoas out of water in a bucket and spent the day moving stock . Started having a tight chest at about 1700 , finished the move at 1930 and took a shower by 2000 I had a headache and a rash up my back and neck . By 2200 had a full fever with shivers and sweating . This lasted all night in the morning I had upset stomach and was generally very unwell for the most of the following day . Then I just got better as quick as it came on.
If I ever do such large changes in the future I will definately take more care and wear gloves

Unless you have a visible infection somewhere, I'd either sleep it off or go to your family doctor or some other outpatient office.

If your hand decides to grow to 2-5X its normal size, visit the ER.

Back