should i run 2 aquariums on one water system?

Meshmez

Im looking at having a 55gal mixed reef and a 55gal(later to be upgraded to ~120gal) FOWLR. Im trying to decide if i should plumb them all together to one sump/fuge, or have them on separate systems. I will likely have the tanks in close proximity to each other so the plumbing itself wouldnt be an issue, just wondering peoples opinions and pros/cons of having these two tanks run together. the only con i can think of is any kind of supplements/dosing i will have to do for the coral will have to be a quantity for the whole system rather than just one...

I personally would not mix a reef and FOWLR. The fish in the FOWLR are likely to be messy and will hurt the chances of having pristine water for the reef. 2 reef tanks are not a problem.

Just a bump and expansion on the above as I am considering the same. I just upgraded my 20 gallon reef to a 36. Every fish my wife picks out is not reef safe so we're looking at turning the 20 (long) into a FOWLR setup. I'm not running a sump so am considering plumbing the two together, keeping the equipment in the FOWLR, doing a 6" sand bed with minimal rocks, and adding some macro algae. What do you think about any of this?

I agree. I would not plumb a fish only tank in with a reef tank. The fish only tank will have negative effects on the reef tank and water quality. Plus fish only systems are better run at a lower SG than reef tanks.

You could do it, but I wouldn't for a couple reasons. First, the reef requirements are higher than a FOWLR. You'll be spending more on additional skimming and water doses then you should have to. It's not the end of the world, just something to keep in mind.

The biggest thing for me, is that if one of the tanks crash, you'll most likely lose both of them. That would put a serious damper on keeping up with the hobby.

Just a bump and expansion on the above as I am considering the same. I just upgraded my 20 gallon reef to a 36. Every fish my wife picks out is not reef safe so we're looking at turning the 20 (long) into a FOWLR setup. I'm not running a sump so am considering plumbing the two together, keeping the equipment in the FOWLR, doing a 6" sand bed with minimal rocks, and adding some macro algae. What do you think about any of this?

Just noticed that you have a join date of 2005 and this was you're first post. Now that is some serious lurking.

Just noticed that you have a join date of 2005 and this was you're first post. Now that is some serious lurking.

Haha! I hung up my hydrometer for a few years but I'm back into reefing. I didn't remember having this account until I tried to sign up and was informed the user name was taken. I've forgotten more than I learned so it's taken me a while to pick it back up. I have found, though, that it's much easier funding purchases as an adult than when I had a part time job and limited income.

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll keep them separate; a major crash scares me.

Back