should I upgrade from a 155 bow front to

grtmmt

a 220 gallon, dimensions of 5 foot long, 3 feet wide and 2 feet high. I can buy a good used 220 tank and stand for $800. I always thought my dream tank would be 8 feet by 2.5 feet wide and 2 feet high but not sure I can afford it. what do you think of going from a 6 foot long tank to 5 foot? I do have tangs, and a mixed reef of corals. Concerned that 3 foot wide may require I get an extra lighting.

I think it would be a nice upgrade if you're looking for something much deeper. I have a 150 whcih is 18" deep, but always wanted at least 24" deep. I just don't have the room in my house as my dining room is already a bit cramped with an 18" deep tank, so 24" or deeper would not let me fit my table with people sitting. Deeper will give much more opertunity for interesting aquascape, but will likely need more lighting to reach the front and back.

Going from 155 to a 220 is an upgrade, but it's up to you if you think that you'd be happy after a few months with the upgrade, or wish you would have waited to go bigger. Every time I've upgraded my tank I always doubled in size or more. I think if I went from my 150 to a 220 I'd be happy for a few months, then may start wish I had waited to get a 300. All depends on what makes you happy. Funny how big tanks start to look normal sized after you look at them for a while.

Not sure the difference from 5 to 6 ft for tangs.

5' is a bit short, my PBT could use more than 6'
Another thing 3' is a hard thing to work on without access to both sides & even then.
I'm over 6' & need a stool to reach the back of my 30" tank.

I think it would be a nice upgrade if you're looking for something much deeper. I have a 150 whcih is 18" deep, but always wanted at least 24" deep. I just don't have the room in my house as my dining room is already a bit cramped with an 18" deep tank, so 24" or deeper would not let me fit my table with people sitting. Deeper will give much more opertunity for interesting aquascape, but will likely need more lighting to reach the front and back.

Going from 155 to a 220 is an upgrade, but it's up to you if you think that you'd be happy after a few months with the upgrade, or wish you would have waited to go bigger. Every time I've upgraded my tank I always doubled in size or more. I think if I went from my 150 to a 220 I'd be happy for a few months, then may start wish I had waited to get a 300. All depends on what makes you happy. Funny how big tanks start to look normal sized after you look at them for a while.

Not sure the difference from 5 to 6 ft for tangs.

Get yourself a 92g corner bowfront then.. I have one and its 36 inches front to back at its longest point and 4 feet long. I have to stand on a chair and dunk ny chest and arm up my shoulder to reach the back bottom of that tank

Back