Show me Your Fancy STANDS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14576867#post14576867 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Misled
Cute little clam Frankie!!!!!!

:lol:
Thanks :) He's been around a while. One day I will be able to use the T.Gigas as a stand :D

OneFiddy... I am loving the sleek and simple look. Covering the pump sounds like a plan. I would not add too much else, IMO. Good idea with the ceiling fan down tubes. Nice!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14562149#post14562149 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hogan400
FFrankie,

job well done. super clean and simple. ima start my new build here as well. think you might like....
Awesome Hogan! PM me a link when you start the build :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14648928#post14648928 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DEERE G
My last post was directed toward FFrankie. I got lost in who was posting what. LOL
Most kind. Thank you everyone for your kind replies. I built a fan system for the lighting and will get a new picture up tomorrow since it is a part of my stand system.

Re: Re: Custom Stand

Re: Re: Custom Stand

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13007051#post13007051 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MeuserReef
:D

I might suggest that to hide the back side of your overflows you could do the following:

1. Measure the outside area of the overflow you want hidden.
2. Cut pieces of wood this size to hide the overflows, stain it to match the rest of the tank.
3. Attach a piece of velcro to the tanks glass (outside top and bottom of the overflow area).
Then do the same for the pieces of wood you have cut out.
Stick the stained wood to the glass. Your ugly overflows are hidden and match the rest of the nice wood you selected and stained. Plus if you want to remove them you can just pull them off during overflow maintenance.

Re: stand

Re: stand

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14599117#post14599117 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by grouper therapy
Here is a african mahogany I made for a 156
131376IMG_2697.JPG

dave you really need a better camera!

Here's my latest project.

It's a built in fish only for my office. The tank is a 60G uniquarium with a Aqua C Remora Pro Skimmer and a custom divided HOB fuge/auto top off reservoir.

It has a Living Color plug and play insert. I just didnt want to deal with the mess of live rock. The tank will house 'invert safe' fish so that I can keep cleaners, fire shrimp, hermits, etc. Most of the fish will move from my 150 into here - currently a Perc and a striped blenny, but will move a Mystery Wrasse, Possum Wrasse and Helfrichi Firefish.

The stand and built in cabinetry are made from poplar and MDF and all painted semi gloss white to coordinate with the rail and stile wainscotting in the room. There are drawers underneath to store office and fish stuff and the little panels right below the tank come off and provide 4" high of storage - perfect for flake food, acrylic cleaner, algae pads, etc.

Some build pics through finished - enjoy!
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Oh - one other thing. Here's a neat idea.

I covered my algae magnet with beautiful Bolivian Rosewood.

It was a standard AlgaeFree magnet and had a really ugly honey colored oak look. Didnt like that.

So, I took the external part and added some 1/4 x 3 rosewood that I bought at my local Rockler. I'm doing Wenge and Zebrawood on my 150G tank magnet.

Just glued and clamped it and then finished it with 4 coats of General Finishes water based gloss polycrylic and then some Briwax past wax. Looks pretty cool

ry%3D400

Oh - one other thing. That Living Color insert is 34" long and would have complete engulfed the 48" wide tank, so I went Tim the Tool Man on it. Built a jig and cut it in half on my table saw to come up with 2 separate inserts. Since the sides of tank are built into the cabinet, the cut ends of the base simply butt flush to the sides and cant see them.

Cut, in tank:

ry%3D480

Uncut version

barbados_base_sm.jpg

Very Nice !!! ^^^ I love the white. I wish I would have painted my stand white to match the trim in our house.

OneFiddy ... simply gorgeous! Your profile does not say where you are located at... need to know so I can estimate travel cost to kidnap you for your carpentry/design skills!

Thanks for the kind words. MVLK, I'm in Chicago, but no kidnapping -we have baby #3 on the way and I wife has the nursery list that keeps expanding!

Seriously though, I'm in sales by day and carpentry/design and fishkeeping are my passions. Whether it's a reef tank, a FOWLR, a fish only with a Living Color type insert, a freshwater tank, or a planted tank, there is simply nothing in my opinion that offers more beauty to a home than a well done and well placed aquarium.

I'm currently sitting at the desk which is right in front of that aquarium and there's nothing like the beauty of a nice bright yellow foxface darting back and forth as I listen to the subtle trickle of the refugium return.

One design note - the doors on the canopy are only temporary. They are basically 2 12"x24" mdf slabs with ogee routed edges and some hinges. I've got proper doors on order that match the doors on the base cabinets. They have the proper face panel routing detail. Check out cabinetdoorsdepot.com. They are a GREAT resource and well priced. For example, 2 paint grade mdf routed panel doors (that match the cabinet doors) with white melamine back, bored for hinges and hinges included, are like $50 shipped. The quality is top notch.

The only downside is convincing my wife to let my install all of the built in aquariums in every room of our house! I swear, I must have filled 2-3 sketchbooks with ideas!

I was just in Chicago this past weekend. Left my three kids at home. Did you know it is possible to sleep a whole night?

Hmmm.... Tank in every room! How about one big connected tank like a hamster habit trail! Someone has to have done that.

Here is my simple tank stand I made. Panels are 100% removable using “z” clips.

58451IMG_0157.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back