Sicce pumps

THEmarineman

Hi
I have noticed recently that Sicce pumps are becoming more and more common among leading skimmers manufacturers, such as: ati, reef octopus, atb etc…
On the other hand I hear that some hobbyists are reporting some reliability problems with these pumps especially with mash impellors. The reports are clamming start up problems, mash and pump wear and tear, and impellor clogging …..

From those who has first hand experience for some time, is it true ???

i have the mesh mod with that pump on my MSX skimmer, if you have the mesh too far beyond the wheel that will happen, then you have to blow into the air line to get it going. there is a thread on this as well.

i had a bubble master with a sicce. sometimes i would have to blow into the air intake tubing to get it started. but after i would do that it would run fine until i unplugged it again.

If the mesh is done right, and not too aggressively, it will not have start up issues. Go too aggressive, and it will. You can also run a pinwheel instead of mesh. PW dont have start up issues, but dont pull as much air as the MW. A couple of the mfgrs (ATB and Warner Marine) are fitting the Sicces with custom volutes to improve performance.

Sorry for going "of road" but does the ati has plastic issues?
I heard is very very delicate and can be broken very easily?

No. The acrylic that the ATI is made of if fine. Drop any skimmer and it will break.

i've been curious about the sicce pumps, i bought a Vertex IN-100 over a octo Eextreme and Euro reef. It's a quality build but the pumps is garbage- so i'm lookin to swap it out before it comes a issue- anyone have any advice, is the Sicce a decent pump, has anyone heard of the euro-reef metal? mesh impellar's coming out....yes i believe it's some type of alloy or metal???

The stock meshwheels on my BM250 were nothing but headaches. Noisy and 100% restart failure rate. Switched to aftermarket pinwheels and all is well.

The mesh mods on my BM250 were fine, because when mine came, I had already heard about the problems some were talking about and I took the pumps apart and trimed the mesh just ever so slightly, making it completely uniform.
I have almost 0 start up issues.
But I also leave them on for 3-4 months at a time.

actually i just saw the second hand 250 i wanted to buy.

well....it was broken in to places (just like i heard before) in the lid and the inner cone of the collection cup.

the skimmer looks very delicate plastic and the the pump impellors look like the were made in my neighbor garage.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14211949#post14211949 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by THEmarineman
actually i just saw the second hand 250 i wanted to buy.

well....it was broken in to places (just like i heard before) in the lid and the inner cone of the collection cup.

the skimmer looks very delicate plastic and the the pump impellors look like the were made in my neighbor garage.
I've seen pics of broken ER, ATI, Deltec, H&S, ATB, BK, ASM, Octopus skimmers posted here. Pretty much every popular brand. They are made of acrylic and will break if dropped or mishandled. The ATI plastic is average. Better than some, not as good as others, but like any of them, works just fine unless something unusual such as dropping it or shipping damage occurs. If you dont like mesh impellers, you can use pinwheels instead (same with an MSX or Octo Extreme) since they use the same pumps and mesh impellers.

Last edited:
alloy

alloy

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14206120#post14206120 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spoofer
i've been curious about the sicce pumps, i bought a Vertex IN-100 over a octo Eextreme and Euro reef. It's a quality build but the pumps is garbage- so i'm lookin to swap it out before it comes a issue- anyone have any advice, is the Sicce a decent pump, has anyone heard of the euro-reef metal? mesh impellar's coming out....yes i believe it's some type of alloy or metal???
Well there is another delay on the alloy impeller from Euro Reef it should come out pretty soon maybe just put a Sedra 3500 on it for now.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14205464#post14205464 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjm817
If the mesh is done right, and not too aggressively, it will not have start up issues. Go too aggressive, and it will. You can also run a pinwheel instead of mesh. PW dont have start up issues, but dont pull as much air as the MW. A couple of the mfgrs (ATB and Warner Marine) are fitting the Sicces with custom volutes to improve performance.
FYI PW can also have start up issues. I noticed one of the sponsors just posted how to fix a common issue.

Back