Sick fish - maybe

tnias

Backstory
I had (1) pajama cardinal in my 30 gallon home tank. Lately I haven't been cleaning it, so the algae growth was all over the place. Sometimes long hair algae is pretty. He disappeared a month ago. I looked and looked for a couple weeks and couldn't find him. Regardless I still put food in the tank every night. But eventually stopped feeding the tank. Because I have my large tank at the office I was planning to convert this to a discus tank (those discus people are more fanatical than reef people, who would have thought) and just have salt water at the office. I knew it would take all day to drain the tank and clean it so I procrastinated for 2-3 weeks. I honestly, can't remember. I was draining the tank over the weekend and about half way down I asked my wife to just look in their and see if the fish was still around, nothing. We drained the tank down to about 1/2" of water and then I moved to the sump to drain it. My wife noticed something moving and their was the fish. I quickly pulled him out and used the sump water to hold him. I jumped in my car and drove to the office. Fortunately, I had my QT tank up and running for the last couple months, checked the salinity and put him in.

Side note - During this 2-3 weeks instead of using my RO/DI water I was dumping untreated tap water to keep the tank water level. Probably a couple of gallons over the time period. No de-chlorination.

Fish Status

He has been in my QT tank for a little over a week. He just sits on the bottom and occasionally flaps his fins and then rests back on the bottom. I have assumed he is weak from lack of food and wanted to give him time to recoup before I put him in the main tank. I am concerned he is not floating mid-level in the QT tank and if I put him in my high flow main tank he is not going to survive. He looks good and will almost hand feed when I squirt some food via the turkey baster but he only swims around if I scare him. If I turn on the powerhead he finds a dead spot to rest. Does he need more time to recoup or did the untreated water permanently damage him and he is just suffering?

Thoughts?

How old is he? I've never kept a Pajama Cardinal for more than 2-3 years, and I've read that 5 years is about their max lifespan.

Spent 1.5 weeks in my QT tank. Was acting weird during the whole time in QT. Would not really swim but sit on the bare bottom (vertical) occasionally flip his fins. Decided I needed to put him in the main tank. When I put him in, after acclimation, he laid on the bottom on his side. It didn't look promising. However, an hour later he was swimming around like normal. Less than a week later he is swimming around like he always has. Such an odd experience but he seems happy.

Back