Sick or Dying Toadstool Leather- w/ Picture

Capnbob

Howdy,

I have a large toadstool leather coral in my 46 gallon reef tank that I’ve had for about 3 months now. Since I’ve had it’s been totally open and has appeared completely health. As of about 3 days ago it hasn’t open up at all. Normally it opens daily. It’s kind of a purple color also, and it’s normally a peach color. I’ve check my tank parameters and everything’s great. Is this normal? If not, what could the problem be? (See pic below)

Tank parameters:

Temp: 80 degrees (higher than I’d like it, but I’m doing what I can…)
Salinity: 1.024
PH: 8.0-8.2
Nitrates: Undetectable
Nitrites: Undetectable
Ammonia: Undetectable

In case it’s asked…

Here's my tank equipment info:

46 gallon bowfront. Rena XP3 Canister Filter, Coralife Super Skimmer for up to 65 gallons. Two Maxi-Jet 1200's with Hydor Flo water deflectors. 200 Watt Marineland Stealth heater. About 50-70 lbs. of live rock. Current USA 36" Power Compacts w/ 1 - Dual Daylight Lamp (10,000K and 6,700K) and 1 - Dual Actinic Lamp (420nm and 460nm).

Tank's Current Inhabitants:

Scarlet Hermit Crabs, turbo snails, nassarius snails
Blue Devil damselfish
Serpent Starfish
Percula Clownfish
2 Condys
Toadstool Leather coral
Finger leather coral
Hydnophora

Toadstool.jpg

Capt_Cully

I've read in this book, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/18...103-3972065-2319820?s=books&v=glance&n=283155 , that leathers go thru a growth and revitalization where they appear to be dying and even emit a cheesey residue. This is then inturn viewed mistakenly by new aquarists as a dying coral, whenit is a normal part of their life cycle.

That said, I had one that went through the stages described by the book, but never recovered. It wound up a smelly deteriorating mess. Keep a close eye. Also BUY THAT BOOK! Great resource!!!

Good luck

schnell76

Mine used to go through these cycles as well. Sometimes took a week and then they would release this filmy crap all over. Never did anything about it including removing the film. After the film cleared out it would open up nice and big. Just keep an eye on it, but you should be okay.

flameangel88

I had mine for 2 months and in that time it went through what everyone described above but when I came back from vacation it just looked back. Read so many thread that they will recover and left it alone for 3 days then decided to take it out and check on it and it started to break apart and it really smell bad.

Take it out and if it doesn't smell bad then I guess your okay.

Capnbob

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7486299#post7486299 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flameangel88
I had mine for 2 months and in that time it went through what everyone described above but when I came back from vacation it just looked back. Read so many thread that they will recover and left it alone for 3 days then decided to take it out and check on it and it started to break apart and it really smell bad.

Take it out and if it doesn't smell bad then I guess your okay.
Unfortunately, I can't really take it out right now because it's moved from the little rock it came on to about 2 or 3 rocks surrounding it right now. It's kind of stretching itself out over the rocks, if I moved it it wouldn't be very pretty.