Sigh... if its not one thing its another... why did my tang die

PCguy21

In Memoriam
So long story short.. I had a hortible ich.velvet problem in my tank. Not sure which maybe both who knows man.. Lost near 1000$ in fish over 4 months.. Finly got tired of making it stress free... stuffing fish with garlic overfeeding them to make em fat... herbal treatments.. nothing worked..

I tried hypo on my yellow tang. It worked and saved him.. So i did hypo in my main tank taking all my frags out and rebuying fish i wanted as stock to treat the entire tank at once and be done with.. Corals have been alone for almost 50 days now. Fish have been in hypo for about 30 days. I then did a low dose of cupramine for 10 days just to be sure. I kept it mostly at .25 to .3ppm fresh water dosage since it gets more lethal at lower salinity due to less ions in the water. Fish took it really well.

I put carbon cuprisorb in and did a 30% water change with 1.009 hypo water. Then i started raising salinity. The main reason i stopped treatments is my blue hippo tang started to bloat and get popeye from the pressure.. he looked like a balloon.. he couldnt handle hypo anymore and was retaining water.. I tried to catch him but he was too fast and im not removing 120lbs of rock.

So i raised salinity kinda fast. Faster then i wanted in order to save him. I went to 1.012 day 1, day 2 went to 1.015, day 3 1.019, day 4 1.021, day 5 1.024. I guess that isnt too fast bout 3 points or so a day.

I cant explain why all my fish are breathing rapidly though.. All of them are breathing fast... yellow tang. Blue tang. Foxface and my powder brown tang. In fact my powder brown tang has been the champion of this whole odeal ive been through and oddly he was fine last night eating no problem... then died today.. i had to go to work early ( well early for me on a saturday) so i left at 9:30 am.. I dont have a timer for my ligjts but i usually turn them on at 12 noon. I know late but i like to keep my tank on later at night so i can enjoy it so i gave them on that schedual) they are used to that so when i flipped my lights on at almost 10 i noticed they were pale. SO i turned it off.

I told my friend to turn them on for me but he didnt until 2pm. I just got home and the powder brown is dead. I think he died overnigjt though by the look of it i dunno man.

Why are my fish breathing rapidly with the salinity back to normal ? I have a ton of surface movement it.. I tested ammonia and compared it to my frag tank to be sure ammonia is 0.. ph is 8.1 KH is 12 to 13 no corals and i just did raise salinity. Nitrates are about 25to 30ppm. Kinda high ish but not enough to be causing this.

It litterally started when the salinity was being raised.

I dunno man... the only good thing is my blue tang looks 10x better and his eyes arent poped out and body has stopped swelling.. So i saved a 80$ tang and lost a 40$ tang.. so annoying.

Can anyone help me explain why my fish are breathing harder ? I dont see ich or velvet..

I really dont wanna lose anymore fish... Ive been at this for 4 months.. and over 30 to 50 days doing hypo and so forth treatments... its starting to chip away at me and im to the point where im almost just done with the hobby... Keeping discus and fresh water is certainly less stressful on my body and wallet..

I mean my tank is still fully stocked and im going to move my corals back in soon... but id rarher not lose my yellow tang or naso and foxface to whatever is causing them to breath heavy.

Fyi the tank is 135 gallons with about 120 or 130 lbs of rock and plenty of hiding place open caves and holes.. and no fish show aggression to anyone.

Hell even my flame hawk is breathing heavier... i dunno id say the fox face is breathing about 2-3 breaths a second which seems kinda high to me

I can't answer it definitively, but I faintly remember you saying that you mix your salt water directly in the tank...if you did that with this 30% change, it's very possible that is causing some of these problems.

Sorry for the loss of your fish....in my opinion I think the salinity was brought up to fast in too short a period of time. 3 points in 24 hours is a lot imo. Especially if the fish were already in a weakened state.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

True.. i have no choice though to save my blue tang.. my blue tang looked like that girl on the willy wonka movie who turned into a balloon blueberry... he was horrible... and 2 days after the salinity was back he looks slim and much better eyes not poping out and hes eating.

It just sucks it killed my powder brown tang...

Sniff. I wish i coyld have caught the blue tang instead but hes too fast.small.

But now my yellow tang has red blotchs on him and its getting worse i suspect its bacterial... god if its not one thing its another with these fish...

You have only been in the hobby for 4 months?
Or did you mean fighting issues for 4 months??

That’s quite the fish load for a newly setup tank.
Sounds to me like you went too fast at the beginning and your tank never stabilized.

You raised your salinity way too fast IMO. You can’t go from hyposalinity to 1.024 in 5 days! I would have taken 2 weeks to go from 1.012 to 1.024. If I had to guess, the fish are suffering from osmotic shock.

Also, after treating the main display with copper, I’d hold off on adding any corals for a few months even with the use of cuprisorb or I fear you will lose your corals too.

You have only been in the hobby for 4 months?
Or did you mean fighting issues for 4 months??

That’s quite the fish load for a newly setup tank.
Sounds to me like you went too fast at the beginning and your tank never stabilized.

No i said ive been battling ich for 4 months lol

Yea i wont be adding my corals for awhile lol and when i do itll be ones i dont care about to test it

As for the yellow tang.

Red blotchs ? Is this a bacterial infection ? Ammonia is 0

20190505-131204.jpg

Well i dosed furan 2 yesturday 24 hrs now and the red blotchs are half way gone already. He looks alot better

Back