Silicates

Tap water silicate test kit (salifert) reads 1 or positive.
Rodi water reads 0. Tank water reads 0.
I have reoccurring diatoms, not excessive but enough to spoil the look of the sand and the lower areas of the rocks in a few areas.
Could the 0 reading of the tank water be because the silicates are 'bound up' in the diatoms, or could it be phosphates which I haven't tested for?
Thank you for any comments.

The RO/DI should remove silicate fairly well, even without a special "silica buster" cartridge. If the tank has a diatom problem, an herbivorous snail that'll move onto the sand will eat them. What cleanup crew does the system have?

The tank is past 18 months now, the initial diatom bloom lasted about 5 months! I later added a few pounds of arogonite sand which caused the diatoms to return, it's not testing positive for silicates so now I'm thinking maybe a phosphate issue, I will test this week.
Thank you...

I have a salifert phosphate test kit, just delivered - and the water is totally clear - no indication any phosphates. 15g water change this mng and adding 20 florida cerith snails. Not confidant but hopeful.....the sand is already showing slight brown color..

Back