Silicone Needed for Installing Bulkheads??

RDuhb

When installing the bulkheads for my internal overflow box, do I need to add a bead of silicone between the bulkhead nut and the tank wall?

Nope. Silicone can actually cause more problems than it fixes. Just tighten it up so the washer is compressed evenly. Finger tight and you should be fine.

make sure you use a little sandpaper on any rough edges/bits of plastic sticking up from the flat mating surfaces of the bulkhead parts..they aren't always perfect after molding.

but NO silicone on them at all. hand tight then like 1/4 to 1/2 turn to snug it up.

make sure you use a little sandpaper on any rough edges/bits of plastic sticking up from the flat mating surfaces of the bulkhead parts..they aren't always perfect after molding.

but NO silicone on them at all. hand tight then like 1/4 to 1/2 turn to snug it up.

This.

On the No team here Provided the hole is correct and the bulkhead is the proper size etc. make sure the gasket is on the correct side of the bulkhead and again NO silicone will only cause problems.

I use the rubber gasket on inside and just a little bead of silicone on the nut on the outside! Doesn't hurt anything and fills in any imperfections in the hole or if there are chips! You can still remove the nut later on, just takes a little work or a razor blade to cut around the nut between it and the glass!

Back