simple 156 reef build

My asterinas are a mottled gray/white with a red blotch in the middle. I've never seen them harm any of my corals but they are quite efficient at keeping my coralline at bay. I got a pair of these to help with removal (waaay faster and more efficient than using fingers).

OE1010_99.jpg

I have a similar tool, Mike, but sometimes I just like to spear them. ;)

Yesterday I stuck my hand in the water and I had a small cut on my finger. Zzzzap! Something was causing a stray voltage... and after my 4am diagnostic check, the culprit was one of my Korallia pumps. This is frustrating. I'll have to figure out which one and pull it (I have two), then figure out what to replace it with.

Chris, I have a constant voltage in my tank that does not appear to be isolated to any one device. The best I could come up with was that the voltage was and induces current from all of the magnetic pumps/powerheads that I have in use.

I almost wish that I had found a "culprit" as I could have resolved the issue quickly by just removing it!

I only get a little tingle when I have a cut on my finger. Not painful as much as it is annoying.

Well I pulled the plug on everything in the tank, then started firing stuff up one at a time. The extension cord I have the 2 korallias on ended up being the guilty party, so I just have to pull one of the pumps that's failed. Fortunately it was an easy find. I've been itching for upgrading those to something tunze controllable, but I need to sell a bunch of frags to justify it first. ;)

Right, figured I could post this here as well. I'm surprised how quickly this has turned around. These pictures are 10 days apart.

2008_11_25_blue_green_favia.jpg

2008_12_05_purple_people_eater.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13881238#post13881238 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pbrown3701
Congrats on the small human bud!

Thanks, Pete! How're things in OK?

One more piece from my reef before I hit the sack... I had STN on one coral in my tank, and over the last few nights I'd seen this bristle star hanging out in the middle of the colony. I'm not one to conclude that the star caused the STN, but it may have. I pulled the colony and fragged it in hopes of saving a few pieces, but I'm not overly optimistic. I did grab a few shots of the star fish before I pitched it.

2008_12_05_star_in_rose_milli.jpg

2008_12_05_evil_star.jpg

Odds are the starfish was attracted to the dead tissue and was devouring it, not the healthy parts.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13884327#post13884327 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
Odds are the starfish was attracted to the dead tissue and was devouring it, not the healthy parts.

Agreed, but I took it out all the same. Hop, that was the rose milli. The first milli I ever tried, but not my favorite since then. It never really did that well for me. The frags I made seem to be doing alright, though.

A colony of zoanthids that I moved from the sump to the display. I like it a lot, but it would be perfect if it didnt have all those tube worms sticking out of it!

2008_12_06_red_zoas_original.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13890890#post13890890 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by psteeleb
wow that's a nice looking colony of zoas :eek2:

Thank you, sir!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13875467#post13875467 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crvz
I need some harlequin shrimp!

I have thought about that, but I'm afraid it would eat the good stars as well. I always like to keep a serpent in there to scavenge for any food thatgets trapped in the rocks. Harlequin shrimp are cool though.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13881635#post13881635 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crvz
Thanks, Pete! How're things in OK?

Well, i had knee surgery a week ago and can't put any weight on my leg for a month. And of course, as soon as I get home, my CL pump craps out on me and my skimmer starts acting up. So my reef is on life support until i can get around again and fix things.

Other than that, everythings great. Hang in there on the lack of sleep. I vividly remember those first couple of months after my son was born. REALLY hard.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13892935#post13892935 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reidcrandall
I have thought about that, but I'm afraid it would eat the good stars as well. I always like to keep a serpent in there to scavenge for any food thatgets trapped in the rocks. Harlequin shrimp are cool though.
No doubt, I don't have an other star fish so I may need to look at getting one or a pair.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13893775#post13893775 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pbrown3701
Well, i had knee surgery a week ago and can't put any weight on my leg for a month. And of course, as soon as I get home, my CL pump craps out on me and my skimmer starts acting up. So my reef is on life support until i can get around again and fix things.

Other than that, everythings great. Hang in there on the lack of sleep. I vividly remember those first couple of months after my son was born. REALLY hard.
That's the pits, hope the recovery is speedy. I hate being laid up like that... regarding sleep, my wife and I are cheating, as we're living about 5 hours apart from each other. She lets me sleep in the early evening to early morning, then she sleeps from the early morning until mid afternoon. It's been working pretty well.

You know it would be really cool to see a FTS progression on this thread... Say an almost monthly update since it's conception;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13899711#post13899711 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hop
You know it would be really cool to see a FTS progression on this thread... Say an almost monthly update since it's conception;)

I posted it in the SPS forum. You saying I've got to put it here, too?

I don't cruise the SPS forum very often:lol:

Didn't know you had it posted there...

Back