Six Line Wrasee Nasties

chatyak

I am not able to get a picture of my six line wrasse. I have had it for years without any issues at all. Tank has been stable for months and months. No new fish.

Tonight, I saw the most hideous thing - my six line wrasse's stomach litterally looks like it ate a golfball. It is round like a beach ball with its scales sticking out - so it looks like a puffer fish when bloated.

It is hiding in the rocks, but I managed to find another picture online that looks SIMILAR - my wrasse's stomach is smaller than this, but the same look about it.

Should see a bloated six line wrasse stomach here - I can't link to the picture in question...

I used to have a sixline that I recently lost to an Oodinium outbreak that wiped out my tank (fishies RIP). He would eat a lot and get a really bloated stomach from being fully stuffed. I don't think it's anything to worry about, but then again I don't really know the extent of the problem. I know that his stomach expansion was far greater than any of my other fish's, so in that regard I'd say it's nothing to be worried about. Maybe someone else can answer if they know a specific condition that might cause this.

It seems far bigger than simply a full stomach... is that normal for it to be totally round with scales sticking out? Seems like a case of dropsy - I thought it was mainly freshwater that had that though...

Back