Skatezen's 75 gallon - SPS Dominated Tank

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11791588#post11791588 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefarchitect
This may seem a bit unorthodox, but consider placing a cap over the current intake of the skimmer and using a uniseal to place the water inlet lower on the body. Possibly to the right of the intake for the recirculating pump. Not only would this solve or significantly improve your vertical drop issue, it would also increase the contact time for new water entering the skimmer as it will be immediately aspirated by the pump.

That would help, but when I raise the water level in the skimmer I think it may might be higher than the water level in the display tank so I need to lower it anyways. I have an idea how to do this, but it will take me a few hours to accomplish and I'll need to redo a lot of the plumbing. which I kind of want to clean up anyways.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11694302#post11694302 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by skatezen
Need some advice...Can anyone find a disadvantage to plumb my overflow to my skimmer this way? I have 2 drains on the right coming from my overflow for redundancy . The pipe along the wall is slightly pitched. I don't have the huge "drop" that you usually see in most tanks from the overflow to the skimmer/sump.

37187Durso.jpg

What is restricting my flow rate here? Is it the 2 x 1" pipes reduced to a single 3/4" pipe or is the the lack of immediate vertical drop? I understand that the 3/4" pipe will only handle so much but I should be able to get at least 400gph right? I'm in the middle of redoing my plumbing and I could really use some help on this one. I only need these pipes to handle 200-400gph as it feeds directly into my skimmer, which I now lowered 3 feet.

Today I plumbed the whole overflow to skimmer piping with 1" pvc. I added about 18" straight down from each of the two pipes immediately after they come through the wall and I didn't reduce to 3/4" until right before the skimmer. I also lowered my skimmer about 3 feet. This seemed to solve my plumbing problems . Now if I can only get my pump on my recirc skimmer to start working properly we'll be in good shape. It's always something...isn't it?

Well, it's official. I broke part of the plastic on my recirc pump and I cant seal it with out it leaking all over the place. I'll have to order parts for it tomorrow. Anyone know who sells the Octopus 3000 pumps?

Update

Update

Ok so here's an update.

I got a new skimmer: Reeflo Orca 200, it a pretty mean piece of equipment. It going to be much better for the overall health of the system than the Octopus.

I also did some aquascaping today. I think I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm always accepting input. What do you think?

37187Aquascape.JPG

Like it very much! I like the way you used larger pcs. instead of a bunch of smaller ones piled on top of each other. Very nice! Just make sure the rock on the left is secure... in the pic it looks like is about to tip over.
It should be a beauty in a year or so!

I got myself a Reeflo 200 as well for my upcoming 120 system and that thing looks impressive!!! Good choice.

The rock on the left is pretty stable. Its actually 2 rocks the one on top acts as a cantilever. There are only 8 rocks in the picture. I have about another 100+ lbs in my sump.

Mach5 you will be more than happy with the skimmer. It kicks some serious butt.

That's a cool 75g set up! Very nice!

I had an issue with direct feeding my skimmer due to not enough vertical difference, and eventually went with a pump. Hope you work it out. That Reeflo 200 is a crazy cool skimmer for this system! Loving the insanity!

Thanks for the replies. I put a couple of frags in yesterday and so far the seem to like it. We'll see what transpires over the next week or so.

Last night I also hooked up my carbon and GFO reactor to help control algae before it starts to get out of control. Does anyone have a Two Little Fishes Phosban Reactor? I have 2 linked together 1 for the GFO and 1 for carbon. Has anyone figured to a better way to keep the GFO media in the reactors? I have a MJ400 as the supply pump which is throttled back. Just enough to keep the surface tumbling, put small particles still make there way out of the reactor every now and then. I put the output in a filter sock to catch any that escape for now.

I cut an extra piece of med-coarse filter pad for the very top chamber as a post filter, that seems to do. And after a GFO change I rubber band a wad of fine filter floss to the outlet for a day or two to catch the fines that are passed even after good rinsing.

wow seems like you've got all that you need and you've done a significant amount of planning. EXCELLENT JOB!! gratz on such a great start.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12017704#post12017704 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
wow a reeflo 200 on a 75g i am in awe .

The display tank is a 75. There are about 200 gallons in the whole system and I'm planning for some fairly heavy stocking. i'd rather over skim than under skim. I can always make the water dirtier :)

Holy Crap....I can't believe I'm posting an update, I really have to get better at this. Pics soon to follow.

Tank Parameters

Salinity 1.025
Temp 78 F
pH 8.24
Ca 425 ppm
Mg 1600 ppm (Raised to battle Bryopsis)
Alkalinity 9 dKH
NO3 0
PO4 0

Live Stock

15 SPS frags
6 Acan colonies
Mated pair of Cherub Angels
2 green Chromis
1 Juv. Orange Shoulder tang.
2 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
2 Emerald Crabs
5 Porcelain Crabs
I still need to get more fish. The tank looks kind of empty. Ideally I’d like to get 4 more Chromis, 4 Sunset Anthias ,<-lost my last 4 and a couple of wrasses.

Summary of the past few months:

So the tank is now 7 months old and things are coming along, fish are in and frags are growing. I have to admit that I was slacking big time on siphoning out detritus. I cleaned out my whole system and have made the commitment to get better with the siphoning. I also removed all of my rock from my sump which was trapping detritus. My phosphates and nitrates were on the rise fueling a recent algae bloom. The icing on the cake was my neighbor blowing through a full packet of mysis in 1 week - It wasn't pretty. I lost my 4 Sunset Anthias I recently purchased.

To help combat the algae problem I started dosing 5 ml of Vodka a day to help cleanse the system through bacteria export. I've noticed a significant amount of algae die off once I started this as well as increased water clarity. I may even start Prodibio to add additional bacterial populations to the tank. If I notice improved results I'm prepared to stick with it. If it doesn't work for me so be it. I might also get a few new pieces of LR to help reseed my tank.

I recently removed 1 of my modded maxijets and added a Vortech MP40W. It has a much smaller profile, much wider flow, and it's controllable. I will be adding another one shortly with the battery backup. I think I’ll hide the modded maxi’s along the back wall to blow detritus toward the front for easy removal. I'm also thinking about removing my closed loop as I don't really see much benefit from it. I don’t like the flow pattern and I'd love, to not have to look at the 6 1” 45* elbows. The savings of not having to run a Dart 24x7 is gravy.

Dosing

Initially I was going to add a calcium reactor, but I decided to give Randy’s New and Improved 2 part solution a go. So far all of the corals are really responding well and coralline is really starting to take off. In addition to the 2 part I’m adding Kent Coral-vite to replace some elements and minerals removed from skimming. My plan is to get a dosing pump to do this automatically in the future.

Back