Skimmer and Filter Socks

jtgrimes

After doing some research I decided I was going to use filter socks on my system. I purchased a few from bulkreef supply. After receiving them, I threw them in the wash twice, with only using Hot water, Vinegar(in place of bleach) and extra rinse on both cycles. Then I let air dry.

After they were dry I took one and rinsed with rodi before putting in my tank. Turned all my pumps back on and OMG my skimmer (SCA-301) is crazy. On its lowest level as well. Still wanting to just pour into my cup. So I turned the skimmer off for now until i can get some answers.

So what Im wondering is, I thought after washing etc, I would not have this problem as most have had without washing first. What do I need to do? Something Im doing wrong? or Should I leave my skimmer off for a day after changing a sock?

Thanks!

Interesting. I use four 7" felt socks in my sump and they are positioned right next to my Bubble King Supermarin and the skimmer doesn't skip a beat when I change the socks out. I always wash mine in the washer with a little bit of bleach and let them air dry. I've never had an adverse reaction from my skimmer ever from sock changes. Only thing I can think is that perhaps the vinegar caused your skimmer to go nuts. That or maybe your skimmer is adjusted on the ragged edge of the wet side.

My sock/overflow is same chamber as my skimmer. As I only have a 10 gallon sump. But I did do an extra rinse as well as another rinse in rodi before adding to the tank. So I have no idea. My skimmer is on its lowest setting which is 0 lol.

Interesting. I use four 7" felt socks in my sump and they are positioned right next to my Bubble King Supermarin and the skimmer doesn't skip a beat when I change the socks out. I always wash mine in the washer with a little bit of bleach and let them air dry. I've never had an adverse reaction from my skimmer ever from sock changes. Only thing I can think is that perhaps the vinegar caused your skimmer to go nuts. That or maybe your skimmer is adjusted on the ragged edge of the wet side.

Well I don't have a specific great reason your skimmer blows up. However I will tell you this, if the skimmer reacts, then something is in the water that the sock is bringing in. Your description of how you cleaned them appears to be enough to not see this reaction. However I would simply say this, I have tried many different methods and some work pretty good others not so much. I would say you are doing fine, except I would add one thing, I soak my socks in RODI water in a 5gallon bucket AND a few ML of Prime. When I need a sock, I go to the bucket, pick it up and let the water run threw it, put it back in, repeat this task a few times, then I remove as much water as I can by simply snapping the bag with a downward motion of my arm, after 10 or so reps no water will come out. I take this bag inside, put it in the sump, and my bag sits right next to my skimmer, the skimmer has very little to no reaction from the new sock. Try adding a touch of Seachem Prime to your rinse water.

Cool deal. So after washing, you let all your socks soak in a bucket of rodi until you need to change out one on your tank, basically a storage? Hmm might have to try that and I assume you have had no problems by doing this? Do you keep the bucket covered?

Well I don't have a specific great reason your skimmer blows up. However I will tell you this, if the skimmer reacts, then something is in the water that the sock is bringing in. Your description of how you cleaned them appears to be enough to not see this reaction. However I would simply say this, I have tried many different methods and some work pretty good others not so much. I would say you are doing fine, except I would add one thing, I soak my socks in RODI water in a 5gallon bucket AND a few ML of Prime. When I need a sock, I go to the bucket, pick it up and let the water run threw it, put it back in, repeat this task a few times, then I remove as much water as I can by simply snapping the bag with a downward motion of my arm, after 10 or so reps no water will come out. I take this bag inside, put it in the sump, and my bag sits right next to my skimmer, the skimmer has very little to no reaction from the new sock. Try adding a touch of Seachem Prime to your rinse water.

Slief: why do you keep your filter socks in a bucket of rodi? Any benefits to doing this?

I don't keep my socks in RODI. When they are dirty and pulled from the sump I toss them into an empty bucket until I have 16-20 of them. Then I toss them into the washing machine with a little bit of bleach. Once they are clean, I put them on my sock rack rack dry out. I don't rinse them after the wash or anything although I do set the wash to add a 2nd rinse as well as a pre-wash cycle.

I don't keep my socks in RODI. When they are dirty and pulled from the sump I toss them into an empty bucket until I have 16-20 of them. Then I toss them into the washing machine with a little bit of bleach. Once they are clean, I put them on my sock rack rack dry out. I don't rinse them after the wash or anything although I do set the wash to add a 2nd rinse as well as a pre-wash cycle.

Sorry had a total brain fart this morning since I've been up since 5am PST. It was someone else that responded saying they soak there's.

Any reason why you pre soak your socks?

i don't keep my socks in rodi. When they are dirty and pulled from the sump i toss them into an empty bucket until i have 16-20 of them. Then i toss them into the washing machine with a little bit of bleach. Once they are clean, i put them on my sock rack rack dry out. I don't rinse them after the wash or anything although i do set the wash to add a 2nd rinse as well as a pre-wash cycle.

.....+ 1

My old Reef Octopus XS225 would go crazy when I changed filter socks. New (been running 3 months now) MTC doesn't though.

I would just use 1/4-1/2 cup of bleach instead of the vinegar and give that a try. After you wash them place the socks inside a bucket of RO/DI water mixed with seachem prime dechlorinator. Then let the sock dry for about a week whenever they pass the sniff test then add to tank.

Back