Skimmer for 180 reef?

chill105

I am moving from an 8 gallon BioCube to a 180 gallon tank and I can't tell you all how excited I am. It's pretty much the only thing I can think about at the moment.

I bought a used setup which came with an ETSS Reef Devil Deluxe downdraft skimmer. I've read reasonably good things about these skimmers but it seems there's been a lot of innovation in the skimmer space over the last several years.

Tank will be a mixed reef with reasonably heavy bio-load. Skimmer will be in the sump, where there's not a tremendous amount of space.

Any suggestions? I don't want to spend a fortune, but want something effective, quiet, and reliable.

I bought a used setup which came with an ETSS Reef Devil Deluxe downdraft skimmer. I've read reasonably good things about these skimmers but it seems there's been a lot of innovation in the skimmer space over the last several years.

I'd frankly debate the effectiveness of said innovation. About the only thing I think you can say with absolute confidence is that newer skimmers are much more energy efficient that their predecessors.

I have an SRO3000INT on my current 180 and like it a lot. I decided to up my game though for the 300 build and got a Reef Dynamics skimmer.

I recommended the EM300 as I use it on my 150g, and it is idle most of the time. It should handle your 180g easily. It is also a full bodied, space saving design.

I've had the Aquamaxx ConeS CO-3 running on my 225 for a month or two now, and wow what a great skimmer. Great bang for your buck!

I've read great things about their EM series too! Check out the brand.

but it seems there's been a lot of innovation in the skimmer space over the last several years.
It's all marketing BS to sell more skimmers. Nothing has changed about skimming in the last 20 years. It still works the same way. Make bubbles and have lots of dwell time in the body. All the so-called innovations screw it up.

If you can fit it in the sump/under the stand, and never want to think about skimming again except when emptying the cup, look at the Life Reef 24" or 30" model.

I have an ATB 840v2 for sale, great skimmer, but I added more volume to my tank. I was running it on a 180 w/ 75g sump.

Back