SKIMMER for 50 gallon mostly FOWLR

dog17simon

Hey i am looking into getting a good skimmer for $100 plus or minus $35....i am thinking about a seaclone 150 or what about a reef octopus HOB... info and reviews on both would be great....thanks

do u have one...i have heard good things about them but i saw that u have to tape it together is that right cause that doesnt seem to sturdy ....hows the skimmate

I do have one, it is actually very sturdy, and no you do not have to tape it together. You do have to put it together (partially) so maybe that is where the information was mistaken. It is a decent HOB for tanks your size or smaller, it is cheap and works well. Check out my gallery for some tiny skimmate pics.

I am planing on getting one for my 45 and the thread about it was pretty interesting. You can also try the ps75 or ps160 there is a cool thread on it. It out preforms even a remora and a cpr bak pak.

i was thinking about a seaclone the newer model of course...what is the ps 75 and 160....the only reason i am hesitant about the typhoon is that u have to tape each arm or whatever thats what it said on their site...do u have to retape it alot or i dont know? im really thinking about the typhoon or the seaclone or an octopus hob

when the say tape they mean teflon tape the sockets before screwing them in, not tape as in "duct tape":)

okay so u dont have to replace the tape all the time right...i know what the ps 160 and 75 are now haha...thanks for help im still just going to think about which one i want though

ive decided on getting a ps160 i read alot of the thread on them and they seem great especially for the money.....i just placed the order

Dog17, the ps160 is a good skimmer but it will overflow if used as a hot until it breaks in.

hey well after i ordered now they called and said they were out of stock....even though on the site they said in stock but what are u goin to do....i am also looking at the HOB octopus skimmer at aquacave anyone got info on these...also should i just wait for the ps160 or get the octopus or something different?

it seems like itd just be easier to run to petsmart and get a seaclone or get a CSS...but u think i should wait for the ps160 it is that good

Yes wait for it, I read that the CSS is quit annoying because you have to constantly tweek it, and seaclown as other say sucks. Wait for it, or you can get a bermuda rogue.

Back