Skimmer for 660 liter display

VJV

Hi Scott,

Wondering if you would recommend the Double Cone 180 or the 200 for such a tank.

The display is 200x55x60cm which equates to 660liter volume or 173 gallons.

HOWEVER, this is 12mm glass and water level is about 5cm from the surface which means actual internal volume should be 197,6x52,6x55 which is 572 liters or 150gallons.

I believe most people take outside dimensions of the glass as they like to feel they have a bigger tank, but the difference is very big (almost 100 liters in this case).

So what volume should I take into account as far as skimmer size is concerned: 173 or 150 gallons?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for not replying sooner. What kind of fish stocking plans do you have for the display? If relatively light, I’d lean towards a double cone 180. If you are planning on a lot of fish, then I’d lean towards a 200. Our skimmers are conservatively rated.

Sorry for not replying sooner. What kind of fish stocking plans do you have for the display? If relatively light, I'd lean towards a double cone 180. If you are planning on a lot of fish, then I'd lean towards a 200. Our skimmers are conservatively rated.

Thanks. Currently have 4 clowns, 1 adult Powder Blue, one adult Foxface, one kole tang, 4 Anthias, one six line, one diamond goby, one Chromis. 15 fish but plan to add another 10 small fish slowly.

Have a 10 micron Clarisea filter fleece that removes most of the detritus before it even gets a chance to breakdown into dissolved organics so the skimmer has its work cutout.

Currently using my trusty old Deltec SC1455 rated up to 1000 liters (650l/h of air) and it seems to easily cope with the task. I am happy with it but given Royal Exclusive skimmers have a reputation of being the best how can I not try one [emoji4].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back