skimmer for FOWL

treejohnny

i am looking for first and last skimmer to buy. Will be a FOWR tank with maybe an anemoe or two. I would like one that i could set up and not tweak on regualr basis. I will have about 300G with display and sump and would have sump and skimmer in basement with iwaki 55 for return pump at aprox 600GPH. I am looking at H&S, Bubble King and deltac currently.......any suggestions

I think that you can do nearly as good, for a fraction of the money, with Octopus, ER or ASM if you mod the skimmer pumps.

I don't know about the other skimmers, but I have an ASM G3 for my 240 gallon tank, and I am very happy with it's performance. I would recommend the next size up (G4) for your size tank, or if money isn't as much of an object get and even bigger ASM (G5).

I have read mixed opinions on ASM on here.....was leaning toward H&S but would like to know if the head pressure from above would be enough to drive skimmer and not have to run/buy skimmer pump ? Is there anyone that is currently running good skimmer without a pump ?

If you are willing to pay the cash, any of the three you initially named would be great.

I am running a Deltec AP1003 on my 450 gallon reef (750 gallons total) and I love it. I clean out the cup weekly and run a little RO water through the air intakes at the same time. They are very easy to set and I have ot made an adjustment in two years. It was well worth the cost after buying and using several other skimmers.

I am in the process of setting upa 350 fish only and decided to go with a Bubble King 250 due to its' size and noise factor. I haven't run it yet, but it's been sitting here for almost six months.

Re: skimmer for FOWL

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9302722#post9302722 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by treejohnny
i am looking for first and last skimmer to buy. Will be a FOWR tank with maybe an anemoe or two. I would like one that i could set up and not tweak on regualr basis. I will have about 300G with display and sump and would have sump and skimmer in basement with iwaki 55 for return pump at aprox 600GPH. I am looking at H&S, Bubble King and deltac currently.......any suggestions

Your on the right track. At least someone gets it.

I was hoping to get one for less that $800.....but i do know i would rather spend the money once.....i think that if i can find H&S in stock that will be right on edge. Does euro reef fit in the category ?

I did alot of reading on here last night/early am....lol.......and i have narrowed it down to 2 top contenders:

DAS is petorama the only supplier ?
H&S i know they are made......does anybody have stock ?

Why those 2? I am in the same boat looking for a skimmer and I
feel as thought the EuroReef is the one to go with just because it is
much better documented. I can find no info as to what kind of pump
the DAS uses and how much electricity it consumes. For all I know
it will make my meter spin off the wall. Then how about parts?
How about customer service? DAS and H&S may be very good skimmers
but I am not sure in the long run they are the better choice.
I would be interested to know why you choose those 2.

Scott

The H&S skimmer shipment will be coming in soon.

I run an ER but have used an H&S as well. As long as you get the models with the eheim pumps, you are basically buying the same skimmer, give or take a few minute details. Similar air draw numbers to body size ratios.

Just pick whichever one you like best, and best fits your budget. Can't go wrong either way IMO.

But for $800.. I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for with a tank that sized.

Jim

DAS uses the same pumps as deltec......aquabee and eheim. The deciding factors for me is the posts that i have read concerning all of the skimmers that i am looking at.

The DAS EX-3 sells for $629 at petorama and does 250+G
H&S 200 sells for $899 at fins reef and does up to 300G
both have 8" chamber and the DAS is 28" tall where the H&S is 23.5 "

The DAS skimmer do NOT use the eheims or the Aqua Bee 2001 pumps.

They only use the Aqua Bee 2000, which is the smaller of the group.

DAS skimmers look like they perform well. I always recommend them for people who are on a buget. But they are no where near what you will get with a Deltec, H&S or Euro-Reef.

The DAS EX-1 is not the same as a deltec APF600. It is the same as the AP600 :)

HTH

Jim

Last edited:
sorry.....wasnt aware that DAS did use eheim pumps as well.
is there a big difference in the aqua bee 2000 and the 2001 ?

Go Deltec!! I have used many skimmers, ASM etc. But i highly recommend Deltec it will be the last skimmer you buy, go with a tryed and true skimmer like Deltec or H&S and you will be very happy.

Back