Skimmer going crazy after adding frozen cyclopeze

jeemann99

Whenever I add a cube of frozen cyclopeze my G3 skimmer go nuts. even when I have the tube all the way down it produces a ton of wet skimmate which has to be emptied every 2mins. After awhile it seems to calm back down to normal. Has anybody experienced this?

Thanks

melev

In Memoriam
How much cyclop eeze are you adding literally? You said a cup, but that must be mixed with tank water, right?

My skimmer does the opposite. The bubbles lower in the body due to the food in the water. Regardless, when I feed my tank, I turn off the return pump so the food stays in the main tank for 30 minutes. When I restart the pump, then the skimmer can start to deal with the residuals.

jeemann99

This only happens when I add cyclopeze. I add i frozen cube and place it in the input of my seio pump which then distributes through the tank. If I add any other type of frozen food I have no problems with the skimmer ONLY happens when I use the cyclopeze.

IPowderBlueTang

Turn off your skimmer when feeding cycloeeze for awhile until the tank gets feed and turn back the skimmer usually an hour later. My coralife skimmer goes crazy when I feed cyclopeeze also!

theop

I think it is just the skimmer doing it's job. I don't know if it's possible due to their small size, but rinsing/filtering the cyclopeeze before putting it in the tank may help. A brine shrimp net may be fine enough.

RichConley

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9231459#post9231459 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by corals b 4 bills
The bubbles in my Deltec 1250 lower in my tank when I add any food even cyclopeze, I think every skimmer reacts differently.

Yours and Melev's lower because you both have recirculating skimmers. His overflows because he has a non recirculating skimmer. Its the same reaction, but different result because of the mechanical differences in the skimmer.

Basically, the surface tension of the water changes, your NW pump starts pulling less air and moving more water. In a recirculating skimmer, the amount of water the NW pump is moving doesnt matter, so the water level drops because of the reduction in air. In a non-recirc, the feed pump and the NW pump are one, so when you reduce air, you increase water flow through, and the water level in the skimmer rises.

melev

In Memoriam
Rich, mine isn't recirculating. It draws in the water from the surrounding area in the sump.

RichConley

then I'm stumped.

Thats been my general experience: If the feed pump draws air, they tend to overflow with food, if it doesnt, they tend to lower.

Also, oily foods cause a drop, foods with a lot of starch/sugars/hydrophobic stuff tends to overflow.

Some mysis makes my skimmer drop, my fish goo makes the skimmer explode.

jeemann99

thanks, I will turn off my smkimmer before adding cyclopeze next time and leave it off for 1 hr before restarting it.

rleechb

odd... mysis makes my skimmer stop foaming altogether (lots of fizzling), cyclopeeze does the same to a much lesser extent, and blended clams makes my skimmer overflow. NW150.