skimmer height

brandon0350

right now i have a 90 but eventually know a upgrade is inevitable. say maybe a 180 or 240? any ways. i want to make a skimmer that is 10" or 12" in diameter. what is the shortest height i can make it and still have it be efficient in removing proteins. what umps would you recomend and where is the best place online to order acrylic tube without having to get 5 or 6 feet?

Try mcmaster.com
I use the 11.5" cast acrylic from mcmaster because it's the cheapest price for it's size. It comes in 2 foot lengths. I use about 18" for the body and 6" for the cup. It comes out to be $100 for the acrylic.
You can add two needlewheel pumps to this and it will be good to go for your new setup.

cool thanks. any recomendations on the pumps? eheim needlewheels are to rich for my blood, and the sedras are inefficient right? what would you recommened the oceanrunner 2700s, 3700s, or the gen x 4100s?

diyeuroreef.gif

I am far from an expert on DIY skimmer mods but I think your on the right track. I suppose at worst you could always order one oceanrunner pump and if it was not enough for your taste you could add another? I suppose two smaller pumps may be more efficent than a larger one with the same output, thats the basic question your asking right?

By the way thats a nice design for a skimmer, much like a euroreef or bubble king. Should pull a ton of crap out!

after going over spazz's diy 12" skimmer thread i think im going to use ocean runner pumps. im only going to have 2 though? should i get the 2700s? or the 3700?

thats understandable. but then you have to ask yourself... why do the deltec AP703, euro reef 12-1 ( recirculating and non), h&s A300, bubblekings, and various other high end skimmers have body heights less than 28"? are these skimmers inefficient?

I am certainly no expert in the chemistry behind the skimmer, but the article that I referenced in my last post appears to reference some solid scientific research into the subject. Based on what little I know, perhaps shorter skimmers work and maybe well, but just not as well as if they were say 5 feet long. When I built mine I made sure the length of actual bubble travel was 32 inches. My skimmer works well especially considering it is the first one I have ever built.

bbyatv

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7558817#post7558817 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bbyatv
I am certainly no expert in the chemistry behind the skimmer, but the article that I referenced in my last post appears to reference some solid scientific research into the subject. Based on what little I know, perhaps shorter skimmers work and maybe well, but just not as well as if they were say 5 feet long. When I built mine I made sure the length of actual bubble travel was 32 inches. My skimmer works well especially considering it is the first one I have ever built.

bbyatv

Those articles are based on countercurrent air driven skimmers.

As to skimmer height, given the same amount and size of bubbles, taller is ALWAYS better. The BK.etc are short because needlewheel pumps become less efficient at pulling in air the more headheight you put on them. The BKs are designed to pull in as much air as possible, push it into as much water as possible, and still fit under a stand.

Back