Skimmer Nyos Quantum

Noticed that when the lid was off, the deepest humming sound got nearly eliminated. Did not really notice much when working inside the cabinet (because of the air/water sounds) But when closing the cabinet doors, this alone made a huge impact!

I therefore added some very soft silicone tubes and it made everything so much better(!) Highly recommended.

(...but a mod like that should not be needed in the first place on such a high end product, so maybe there is something wrong with mine. I figured I should share the info regardless.)

picture.php

<rant>
You know, I'm REALLY unimpressed with this skimmer.

It won't sit in 6 inches of water in my tank, I HAVE to raise it out of the water until it's about 3" in.

I've tried operating it with the air wide open, and the gate valve fully open when it's sitting in 6" of water, and all it does is overflow the cup.

It'll skim fine for a bit, but I usually wake up to it overflowing, even with it out of the water.

So now I'm stuck skimming using a 3" foam head and am ending up with all kinds of gunk on the body of the skimmer, not in the cup, so now I can't see where my foam level is. I have to rely on the water level indicator on the adjustment tube.

I'll never recommend this skimmer to anyone else, and am likely going to switch to a SRO Regal 300 for my 233G tank.

</rant>

Thank you :)

<rant>
You know, I'm REALLY unimpressed with this skimmer.

It won't sit in 6 inches of water in my tank, I HAVE to raise it out of the water until it's about 3" in.

I've tried operating it with the air wide open, and the gate valve fully open when it's sitting in 6" of water, and all it does is overflow the cup.
It'll skim fine for a bit, but I usually wake up to it overflowing, even with it out of the water.

So now I'm stuck skimming using a 3" foam head and am ending up with all kinds of gunk on the body of the skimmer, not in the cup, so now I can't see where my foam level is. I have to rely on the water level indicator on the adjustment tube.

I'll never recommend this skimmer to anyone else, and am likely going to switch to a SRO Regal 300 for my 233G tank.

</rant>

Thank you :)
If your going Thru all those adjustments and it's still overflowing it might be a chemical imbalance in the water that is causing it.high alkalinity or maybe you used epoxy in the tank to secure corals or rock.

Just to let everyone know, I've been using my Nyos Quatium 160 for two months now and this skimmer is dead silent. The production of skim-mate is excellent as well along with the German build quality.
6.gif

4.gif
22.gif

I have been running a 160 for 3 months now and can confirm mine is the most silent skimmer I have owned and I have had many in my 35 years reefkeeping. This skimmer is also the most efficient I have owned and produces plenty of dark skimmate. I have had no issues with the skimmer.
On the down side I do think the shape of the cup is not ideal and it should not be tapered it would have been better if straight sided and a tad bigger.
I modified the drain by boring it out and fitted an elbow with a tap on the end. The drain pipe kinked as it was too close to the neck of the skimmer and could easily dislodge. Nyos inform me they have improved this now.

My cup drain mod.
20160513_144654_zpsedxz28ne.jpg

20160513_150248_zps5ssiy4zt.jpg

Tearing down my 120g and selling the Nyos 160 if anyone is interested. It's only about 7 months old. Will be posting a thread in the selling section soon.

Just sent an eMail to Nyos.
Hopefully they will tell me to return the skimmer.

This Bubble King though... oh my :bounce3::bounce2::bounce1:

Hi again.
I ran the Nyos Quantum for a few more weeks, but I still could not get it quiet. Yesterday, I just had to go buy a new skimmer as my wife simply refused me to have the Quantum running anymore.

The new skimmer is a Bubble King Double Cone with an adjustable pump (I set it to 22W to match the Nyos Quantum) I measured the sound level using my phone.
I know this is not a "scientific" way to measure noise, but even though the numbers are not 100% correct, they are still valid when comparing the two skimmers. The sound is measured with the sump cabint doors open and about a meter away from the actual skimmers. Water level is 20.5 cm for both tests. The ambient noise at just over 30db is mainly caused by the return pump. (Now that I finally have a proper skimmer I think I have to replace the return pump also. hehe)

When the Nyos Quantum starts up, you clearly see the huge increase in noise. During normal operations, this skimmer increases the decibel reading by almost 20. (from low 30 to low 50(!)) When touching the lid, you can feel the skimmer vibrating. The main noise is a rather deep hum and closing the cabinet doors does not help a lot.

When starting the Bubble King, the noise only increases about 2-3 decibel. (pump is started at about 8 seconds in the picture, small gurgling noise when skimmer body is almost full at 15 sec)

I did numerous tests and got similar results.
Is this a skimmer I could have returned? I have not yet bothered discussing the issue with the online store from where I bought it, as I wanted your opinion first. If you think this is how the skimmer is supposed to operate, I will just try to sell it instead. (I will have to warn the buyer though / sell it very cheap)

Sincerely,
Paal Rune.

picture.php

picture.php

Just sent an eMail to Nyos.
Hopefully they will tell me to return the skimmer.

This Bubble King though... oh my :bounce3::bounce2::bounce1:

Sounds to me you have a defective pump or impeller. I would return it.

Anyone has the Quantum 300? Looking for reviews but all i can find is a youtube review from malevs reef.
Thinking about getting the 300 if not than the Vertex Alpha 250 or 300

Can someone point to the bio load min\max specs for the Quantum 220. Looking into one for my 300....

I have a Q160 running with a 50gal tank and 20L sump. Best skimmer I have yet to own. Super quiet and plenty of dark, dank, stank skimmate every week. I over feed which leads to this but it keeps up. After breaking down my tank and completely rebuilding everything from stand to sump I'm super happy and impressed with this skimmer as one of the better purchases I made.

Great! So do you happy with the 160 or feel a little too big? I have the same sump.

Sorry for the so-late response. It fits fine and I do like the skimmer. It is really nice and produces a tremendous amount of bubbles. The tank is still really lightly stocked so not much to speak of in terms of skim mate.
Cheers,
FB

I have been on the fence with purchasing this skimmer. I'm interested in the 120 and have been researching it for a few months. I'm ready to pull the trigger but then I ran across this video today. It makes me really nervous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWn_v6RSWlo

2 tips to prevent such happening and BTW the same can happen to other skimmers that use a locking cup type mechanism
1/ Although fitted with a drain to drain off the skimmate remove the cup once a week to clean it inc the locking lugs on the cup. I suspect the guy in the vid left the cup on a long time and just used the drain/
2/ Apply a small amount of silicon grease to the mating surfaces and locking lugs on the cup. This will ensure easy removal and stop skimmate solidifying on the mated surfaces.

Back