skimmer or no skimmer

greenvillecoins

i stop my skimmer the other day,,, wondering since ive added like six clams 3 big and 3 small cherry stone and a oyster, should i turn my skimmer back on? when it was on it would fill up onece a day with dreen slime,,,, i dont want to hurt anything,,,just figured the shell fish would be better with out it????????????? thanks so much ken

would probably need a little more info, if your having excess nutrients then i would run it. if you have a refugium or something else keeping nutrients in check then you may be able to get away without it.

tank

tank

Picture 143.jpg

View attachment 202680

Picture 142.jpg

Picture 012.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]all i have is a magnum 350 filter cannister, its a 55 with alot of corals...

why did this happen

why did this happen

i feed the tank with ground squid,shrimp,oyster,clam,scalops,,,,,, and the rug type carol dot a big chunk of the stuff and this mornning it has a air buble under it? never done that before should i pop it??? im lost thanks ken

View attachment 202683

If you can keep params in check without the skimmer and with water changes alone. Then you are fine. If not, then add a skimmer. For me, I find a skimmer invaluable. The amount of gunk it pulls out is shocking. Without the skimmer it just stays in the system until it breaks down enough to come out as nitrates via fuge growth or changes. With more sensitive corals and critters water params become quite important. Ultimately... do what works best for you. I skim. I change water weekly and have a fuge. I may remove my filter socks. Tried that for a few months and seems to boost nitrates without frequent cleaning. I'd rather siphon detritus from a sump than change socks every few days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

i just hooked the skimmer up about 2 hours ago and its half full with green slime...is this good? or if i disconnect it the slime will feed the stuff i have in the tank?

If you can keep params in check without the skimmer and with water changes alone. Then you are fine. If not, then add a skimmer. For me, I find a skimmer invaluable. The amount of gunk it pulls out is shocking. Without the skimmer it just stays in the system until it breaks down enough to come out as nitrates via fuge growth or changes. With more sensitive corals and critters water params become quite important. Ultimately... do what works best for you. I skim. I change water weekly and have a fuge. I may remove my filter socks. Tried that for a few months and seems to boost nitrates without frequent cleaning. I'd rather siphon detritus from a sump than change socks every few days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry to hijack this thread, but how do you siphon from your sump?

I always run a skimmer. Even now when I do automatic daily water changes, my skimmer rarely has anything in it. But on two occasions in the past 6 months, my skimmer went crazy for a couple of hours. I always run it as a backup.

Alex

i just hooked the skimmer up about 2 hours ago and its half full with green slime...is this good? or if i disconnect it the slime will feed the stuff i have in the tank?

Try raising the cup a little bit... Is it green, dark green, or paste?

Skimmer setup is fine tuning where the bubbles break over the cup and let in the stronger skimmed. As the bubbles pop it sinks back to the next bubble getting stronger and stronger...

This is the real stuff to get... Otherwise you will be emptying it every few minutes.

The issue is a skimmer oxygenates the water, without it you may have some issues especially if you does kalk.

I can imagine the clams getting more food without the skimmer but if you are not doing weekly water changes your tank will become a nutrient factory.

I say run your skimmer and give your clams adequate amounts of food.

Run the skimmer. You can see that there are enough nutrients to grow algae (back of tank and rocks). So your clams will be fine. If you did not own one, then I would have more questions before recommending getting one. But I probably would still recommend it.

You could always put it on a timer to not run all the time and/or turn it off during feeding. But I just run mine all the time and turn my pumps down when feeding.

?

?

Run the skimmer. You can see that there are enough nutrients to grow algae (back of tank and rocks). So your clams will be fine. If you did not own one, then I would have more questions before recommending getting one. But I probably would still recommend it.

You could always put it on a timer to not run all the time and/or turn it off during feeding. But I just run mine all the time and turn my pumps down when feeding.

you turn your pumps down? are you talking about your power heads of filter pumps? and yeah i do fight algie all the time its all over the place i have to use a zazor blade on the front to keep it clean,,,stinks,,,,,

no i dont still allitle confused on what type of water that is? i just dont understand sorry normally use tap water with dechrorinatore in it..

Back